Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fighting the front disc brake on my CB500T and my CB450 as well. I went through both of the systems by cleaning out the master cylinder, new pads, and bleeding the system. Neither one would release and would always drag some.
Tonight I took the caliper apart and put a new piston seal in it. I really didnt think that it was going to make a difference because the old seal looked good.
The brake works great now and doesn't drag anymore at all.
The caliper seal is the first thing I will change on any bike I get with one of these front disc brakes from now on.
I guess when they get old they stick on the piston.
Don

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is why I posted this. The old seal is one that if I took it out and looked at it I would never have replaced it. I read something somewhere, probably here, that they will stick when they are old. I was so tired of fighting the brake sticking issue that I put in a new one thinking that it wouldnt make a difference and it did.
I mean this bike rolls around the garage like my drum brake bikes do after riding it last night and I clamped on the brakes hard enough to almost slide the front wheel.
I hope this helps someone else.
Don

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I have the same type single piston disk calpiers on the 650. I will def remember this, though I had to replace the seals and piston due to wear when I got it, so Im hoping it won't be for a while yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts