Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So nearing the end of my rebuild... and just going over the service manual shows im missing the 3 knock pins that go on top of the cylinders... and that must be what these 2 fat o rings that came the vesrah gasket set are for ? the 2 right knock pins correct? I never saw these pins at all during tear down and i have every other knock pin that was on the bike.. so i wonder if it was previously rebuilt without them ?

Sucks to wake up on a saturday to put your engine in your bike and it comes down to these.. just wanted to confirm, 1 on the left stud, 2 on the right studs with the 2 fat o rings.

Rebuild will wait to tuesday when the honda lawn and sport dealership can get them in. so any last minute *make sure you do* would be appreciated too help

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, there are 3 knock pins (as Honda calls them) between head and cylinders. The 2 on the right side are where the flat O-rings go to seal the oil passages going up the studs to the cam ends. Absolutely must have them for proper head to cylinder alignment, not to mention for the O-rings to be centered in the milled area around the knock pins in the cylinder surface to seal properly. Can't imagine it being put together without them previously and not have some issues. Be sure to pre-lube the followers and cams like crazy... I used a an old school hand-operated squirt oil can filled with a mix of 25% Lucas friction modifier (thick like STP) and 75% motor oil and squirted it into one of the oiling orifices in the cams (while covering the other orifice with my finger) to fill the cams and upper oil flow areas prior to putting valve covers on before starting the first time. The Lucas additive makes the oil mix cling better

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks or the tips, have an old snap on oil squirter thats stiill used a lot, ill be sure to oil everything and then add some extra

1 - 3 of 3 Posts