Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gurus ...

Attached are a couple picks of my corroded crank shaft from my CB500T ... are these salvageable with this much corrosion? Are they worth salvaging? If so, how would you recommend doing it? I am tempted to just buy one on eBay, but thought I'd check in here first ...

I've had them soaking in both diesel fuel and gas but the corrosion is pretty deep ... thoughts?

Thanks Bill

CB500T Crankshaft 1.jpg CB500T Crankshaft 2.jpg

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
I'd probably just start looking for a "parts" engine.......... Problem there is you can't see the condition of the internal parts......

However, IF you assume you will be replacing it anyway, it can't hurt to TRY to clean it up (Assuming everything spins freely/smoothly now) any notchy-ness or "sticking" abandon the effort......

I might experiment for use in one of my own bikes, but would not even think of using that in a customer bike without a complete disassembly/ inspection/ refurbishment/reassembly and truing..... It won't be cheap to do correctly....and I'm not sure you could even find all the necessary parts....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve ... I just bought one off eBay for $85 that looked to be in good shape ... appreciate the advice! Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts