Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have an Honda CB450 and i have a couple of CB500t carburator that have an additional valve (cutt-off).
what are the differences? can I mount them in the 450? do I get any improvements?
IMAG2483.jpg
IMAG2484.jpg
IMAG2485.jpg
IMAG2486.jpg
IMAG2489.jpg

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
There is no performance improvement for the 500 carbs with the air cutoff valves. The purpose of the valve is to enriches the idle circuit when the engine decelerates. What it does is cut off the pilot air to the idle circuit. This is like closing the pilot air screw every time you close the throttle when the engine is decelerating. It eliminates the popping when you close the throttle. It allows a leaner main air mix in an effort to get to a lower emissions.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
What Jim said...

Although the CB500T carbs do have vacuum ports built in so syncing them is easy peasy. I prefer the 500T carbs for this very reason.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What Jim said...

Although the CB500T carbs do have vacuum ports built in so syncing them is easy peasy. I prefer the 500T carbs for this very reason.
I just feel the exhaust to sync the carbs, I like the intimacy with the bike :)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts

I could say something but I will refrain. This is a family friendly forum after all LMAO

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
You would also want to look at the jetting dependent on the year of the bike as even on the 450's it changes

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I used to do this until I decided to drill vacuum ports in the head, once properly synced it was like a completely different bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anybody know what one might want to use to get started? I've got a 76 500 that I blew the engine on and have a 74 cb450 that I'm dropping in as a full replacement. I'd prefer to keep using the 500T carbs as I know they are good... the 450's would (probably) need a full rebuild.
Thanks!
Toran
You would also want to look at the jetting dependent on the year of the bike as even on the 450's it changes

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
use the CB500T carbs. They're better than the 450's since they have the vacuum sync ports already which makes tuning a breeze.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
For balancing the carbs? No, you need a manometer.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
If your tester can read low vaccum then yes, you will have to read one side and then the other. Then make an adjustment then read again back and forth until you get it as close as you can get it.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
odd, my mightyvac wouldn't register anything when I tried it years ago.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
you COULD probably use one of these as well.

IMO it would still be easier to just drill the sync ports or better yet use the CB500T carbs instead.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I tried the uni syn, won't fit on both carbs on a 450 and couldn't get it to seal on the carb it would fit on. I forget what was in the way. Battery box?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts