Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang ...

Can someone clue me in on how to remove the cam follower shafts from my CB500T? I know they are split but I can't figure out how to pull them out? Its the last thing that needs to come out of the engine before I have it bead blasted and I can't seem to figure it out? Thanks in advance for the help!

Bill

CB500t Cam Follower Shaft.jpg CB500t Cam Follower Shaft Outside.jpg

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I stuck a small paint scraper in the middle and tap it in to get it started and then followed up with a small flat head to wiggle and push it out.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's a seemingly barbaric move needed to get the torsion bars out of the head, but there's no other way to accomplish getting them separated in the middle where the ends of the tubes touch. The potential risk is, if the splines on the torsion bar are a bit dry and/or rusty (inactive cylinder head on a spare engine, for example), the force could cause a tweak to the upper valve stem... but I've never encountered that myself, even on old parts engines that have been sitting for quite a while. Just be as gentle as possible

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys ... thanks for the advice ... I'll take my time with it ... side question, should the valve stems be disconnected first (and is this possible?)? or should the bars just slide out?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You need to use a flat screwdriver between the ends of the two torsion bars - wiggle a bit and one or the other of them will slide out. Then you can tap out the other one from the opposite side.
The valves will not get loose until the torsion bars are removed. Keep the related pieces together and note which valve they came from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts