Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a friend put together his CB500T. I'm new to this motor and he has limited mechanical knowledge. The head is on the bike, cams in, cam chain riveted, tensioner off. The problem is the cam chain isn't on the crankshaft gear. With the head on and the cams in, I tried to catch the crankshaft gear with the cam chain. I wasn't having much luck. A friend/mechanic recommended I go ahead and put the master link in and that the chain could be rolled onto the gear with the tensioner out. I've tried and tried to roll the chain on. It will snag the chain, but slips off. Does anybody have any suggestions? Do I have to break the chain, remove the head, and lift the jugs? Or is it possible to go in from the side by removing the flywheel? Or is there a technique to rolling the chain on the gear that I am not aware of? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
How the heck did the cam chain come off the crankshaft in the first place?
As to how to put it back on the crank shaft, you're going to have the break the chain, remove the head, and realign the chain onto the crankshaft's gear.

Get one of these to break the cam chain
Honda Chain Breaker / Chain Press Tool CB350 / CB360 / CB450 / CB500 / CB550 | Common Motor Collective

Make sure you tie the ends of the cam chain to something so the chain doesn't drop out into the crank case.

And you'll need a master link to put the chain all back together

If it's a DID 219 chain (OEM) use this
Genuine Honda - D.I.D Cam Chain Master Link - 219T - Rivet Type - CA/CB/CL72/77 CB/CL/350K/450K SL350K CB500K/550/750

If it's a 219H chain use this
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vint...universal-219h-chain-master-link-12-1217.html

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Wow - first the slipped follower story this week, and now the slipped chain... tough week for DOHC 450s. Hard to understand how it could slip off the side of the crank sprocket for sure. that chain tool looks to be the exact same Stockton tool I bought, so use it with care to break the chain or the tip might bend - it did on mine on only the second use.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Start again buddy; new split link and follow the FSM. You have to get it right; 1 tooth out and it will bite you on the bum.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Consider yourself lucky the chain didn't roll back on to the crank sprocket otherwise you would have bent valves from the cam timing being so out of whack. These things need to be done precisely and with the utmost care. 1 tooth out of correct timing on the cam chain could equal disaster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what all has gone on with this motor. I'm coming in part of the way on this engine build. I learned how to put the head together, but this bike is about to break me.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Can't let it do that - though these things were complicated for their time, they're really not that exotic by today's standards, just different. we'll help you get through it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't let it do that - though these things were complicated for their time, they're really not that exotic by today's standards, just different. we'll help you get through it
They are different than what I'm used to for sure. I've helped some other friends with I4 Hondas (2 & 4 valvers) along with a Magna (don't get me started). I'm a little more used to dealing with Ducatis. This is the point where you point and laugh at me. I will say the valve closers on the 500T made me smile as it closely resembles that of a Ducati.

First and foremost, make sure you are working with the Honda Service Manual and not off Clymer
You, sir, are a gentleman and a saint. My friend has a Haynes of which the instructions are the same regardless of the task: 1. Remove parts. 2. Installation is the reverse. I've been having to try to learn how to put this motor together with limited guidance.

I appreciate the help and motivation. I've got some reading to do on this manual.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...along with a Magna (don't get me started).
I absolutely hear you on the V-4 design. I have the Sabre version of the VF1100 and I have no immediate desire to do anything to the engine... only if, or when, necessary, and I hope that it never happens during my ownership!

I'm a little more used to dealing with Ducatis. This is the point where you point and laugh at me. I will say the valve closers on the 500T made me smile as it closely resembles that of a Ducati.
Nah, I wouldn't laugh at you for being involved with Ducatis - the older ones were somewhat crude and sometimes cantankerous, but the newer ones are badass. I know, I rode one in the last 10 years or so and it was a rocket, and I'm quite sure they are even better today. However, the similarity between the Ducati system and the DOHC 450 is only in the look... the 450 open its valves with the push of the follower by the cam and closes its valves with torsion bar valve springs, not with a mechanical closing design like the Ducati

1 - 10 of 10 Posts