Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thought id start a thread on my new project. Which I've never actually laid eyes on yet! I work offshore so my Dad and Uncle picked it up for me. Both are into bikes and both are engineers and they reckon it's not 'too bad', so fingers crossed!
Plan is to strip it down and initially clean the carbs for a start then refit and see how shes running. Bike is starting fine on the starter and kick start and runs smooth enough with one side kicking out more smoke initially than the other.
After that I plan a full, engine out, rebuild. Most likely it'll need (Well might not 100% need everything but plan on anyway for practice) ;

Carb rebuild
New rings
Head gasket
Cam chain replacement
Cam chain tension-er if required
Remove starter motor completely (Probably leaving the starter clutch in place.)
New Points
Polish engine casing
Maybe new sprockets
Will look at repositioning the pegs
De-tab the frame
Blast/paint frame
Clip on bars
Fit seat hoop
Remove airbox
New battery and relocate either in a new tray or under seat.
New Headlight
New tail light
2 into 1 exhaust
Thinking about fitting a tank from a CG 125 as I like the look of the slimmer tank.
Polish the rims fit new tyres
New fenders/cut down current ones.

Will keep you guys posted with plenty of pictures as I go. Hopefully will get started early to mid next month. Its a big list which will most likely keep growing!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan going. Be interesting to see this one get started. Lots of great experience here & advice, from that expereince, is available, for the asking.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
If you plan on removing the starter and not using it then what is the point of leaving the starter clutch?

In fact, by leaving the starter clutch in place you are risking the rollers and springs to fall out and get stuck on the rotor and causing damage.
I have seen starter clutch bits get stuck on the rotor magnets and then get mangled between the rotor and the stator coil. Not a good thing to see.

·
Registered
686 Posts
You’re having a plan and you know that your list will grow. That’s good so far. There are always unexpected issues when it comes to full rebuilds or restorations. But please consider one more thing: Your perception of the bike might change as well while digging deep into it. I’ve got also a 500T and did not like some details when I bought it, but slowly it grew on me. I’ve learned that even if I still have my issues with the seat sometimes for instance, I’m fully aware that the design is very well balanced. Just take it slowly. One change leads to another...
I love my 500T now stockish as it is but to each his own.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
^^^ What he said. I will also add a couple more things

1. That you might want to think twice about removing the airbox.
These Keihin carbs do not run well at all with pods and will likely be a real challenge to re-jet and tune to run properly.

2. And I would urge you to seriously reconsider chopping up the bike and its parts. There are many ways to customize and cafe out a bike without doing any of that.
Once you cut, you cannot make it whole again.

These bikes and their parts are getting rarer by the day and your bike will hold its value a lot more if it can be revert back to stock condition.

·
Registered
228 Posts
^^^ What he said. I will also add a couple more things

1. That you might want to think twice about removing the airbox.
These Keihin carbs do not run well at all with pods and will likely be a real challenge to re-jet and tune to run properly.

2. And I would urge you to seriously reconsider chopping up the bike and its parts. There are many ways to customize and cafe out a bike without doing any of that.
Once you cut, you cannot make it whole again.

These bikes and their parts are getting rarer by the day and your bike will hold its value a lot more if it can be revert back to stock condition.
Excellent point; custom "bobbers" and "cafe racers" show up on craigslist all the time for insane prices, but, nobody wants that. People who know and wanna keep their machines is one thing, but once you cut pieces off the frame, chop up the fenders, well you screw yourself completely on resale, you'll never get back what you put in. People that want a bobber or custom cafe to keep, want their own customizations and design anyway, not your idea of what is a cool bike, but their own.

Do what you want in the end, but it might pay to just get to know the machine like it is before going too far. There are also other ways to customize without cutting things up, and keep the original stuff.

I think it's also telling that I see some of these custom projects that aren't priced that high, just sit there for lng, long times, not selling even if it isn't a lot.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Craigslist is full of failed projects that have been chopped up... and later sold for far less as a result. If you're determined to go that route - which is fine, if that's what you want - just know the path you're taking and the potential implications that go along with it

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Some VERY GOOD advice here. I actually started out to build a CB550K "Café Racer Style" build & not really thinking about it, I started doing some "Cutting" and got part way through the cutting. Now, I wasn't able to, at that time, spend much time, on the build. And when I came back out to the garage, I looked at the cutting I had started doing and I thought, "what am I doing"? I didn't really stop, make the decisions on all I wanted to do and didn't go any further. In my case, I had acquired 2 CB50Ks, that were not totally complete and neither had a title. BUT, I could have easily either offered them for sale, to someone who could either use the parts or managed to get them titled. So, my experience didn't go too far, fortunately. But, being older and, hopefully, wiser, I have developed a whole new attitude and try to do what I want and will try not to do something that will keep the motorcycle from being returned to being the Classic it is. I won't "Jump on anyone who ruins a classic, but I will feel for the loss of that classic. That's just me (and or the record, I appreciate a modded motorcycle, just as much as anyone else does). ;) That being said, I am looking forward to seeing how you go about accomplishing your goal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sitting offshore just now trolling the internet for some 2 into 1 down pipes in the UK, not many around!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im offshore for work for another two weeks! Will get cracking as soon as I'm back unfortunately that's my uncles garage not mine!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a new 1976 cb500t way back. Was my second bike. Mine was brown with the gold pin stripping just like yours. I payed $1250 brand new. I put 40,000 on that bike. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Looks to me, like you have some decent material, to work with. Good luck with it and I can imagine your wanting to get home, along with getting that one there as well & get started. Believe me, we all can feel your being anxious. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome bike

If I keep reading this forum I'm going to need a note for my landlady, that says I can have more bikes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts