Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
it's the oil windage plate, you can remove it, but you'll need to reinstall it after you clean the gunk out. Easiest way is to drill the rivets out to remove it and then reinstall it by tapping some m6 holes where the rivets were and using some m6 button head bolts to hold it in place.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Can this little sheet be removed? it looked pinned or riveted on the 4 corners, but had 2 screws in the middle... there's a lot of gunk under there...
As mentioned above, that's a "windage tray", ostensibly to keep oil around the oil pump during hard cornering.
All these bikes have one, they're not designed for removal.

I generally just put in some quality time with the local high-pressure car wash - stick the nozzle right in there, it wil clean up - though you'll get completely soaked........

·
Registered
506 Posts
That would be the option I would go with Bill. I believe the windage tray is also integral to prevent the crank from whipping up or foaming up the oil, is that correct?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did end up drilling it out, and plan on re installing it, Odd that its riveted on the corners but screws in the middle... should be able to tap 3 holes fine.. in another post you commented on Liam you said you could just use the 2 screws to hold it in? with loctite?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't recall that but you probably could, for safeties sake I would try to tap some holes and use extra bolts to keep it in place properly, if that comes loose and contacts the crank you are in some serious trouble. Do it once, do it right. I'd do it just for my own peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I got one all tapped and ready to go, but..... Even loctite can fail. Kinda makes me wish I hadn't, but..... You only live once!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it all cleaned and powder coated it today, I will drill and tap before I assemble, Need to pick up some three bond

Best hope Loc tite doesn't fall... I don't imagine one of the middle screws coming out being a good thing for the crank..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts