Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a CB500t a month ago and it was in a barn find, it was in a garage since 2008 so about 14 years since it had last been run. I changed out the gas and cleaned the carbs so it starts and runs great now but the only problem is with the electrical wiring. The neutral light and the starter works, the brake lights work as well but the left turn signal only turns on in the dash and the back left light. The right turn signal does not turn on in either the dash or the front/rear signals. And the headlights and horn do not work. Does anyone know why this is?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Could just be corroded ground connections, could be open connectors in the harness. You'll need a Volt/Ohm meter and a wiring diagram to sort it out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Also, check the quality of the diode as a possible issue. They can fail and cause weird circuit issues. The diode (if memory serves) is either under the tank or in the grey connection box under the ignition key/left side. It's simply a small plug-in part, easily checked via multi-meter.

Its size is approximately 10x10x16 with two spade connectors.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The 500T has a lovely fuse box as well, check for no connection corrosion and fuses not blown.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Since the starter works, the diode is likely not involved, as it only prevents the clutch safety switch from lighting the neutral light when cranking. The turn signal working on one side implies only the left bulb that lights has a ground or power from the relay, since the relay must have power for that bulb to work its fuse must be good. Headlights could be fuse or ground, but since the brake and turn signal work, it is probably good. Open connectors are always a possibility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a CB500t a month ago and it was in a barn find, it was in a garage since 2008 so about 14 years since it had last been run. I changed out the gas and cleaned the carbs so it starts and runs great now but the only problem is with the electrical wiring. The neutral light and the starter works, the brake lights work as well but the left turn signal only turns on in the dash and the back left light. The right turn signal does not turn on in either the dash or the front/rear signals. And the headlights and horn do not work. Does anyone know why this is?
I would check the switch itself. They often corrode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late reply, Ive been putting off working on the bike. Thanks for all the advice ill make sure to go ahead and check all that was mentioned. I was looking at my bike earlier and realized it didn't have a horn at all so thats the reason why thats not working. Is it possible that this is the reason none of the other electrical pieces are working?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts