Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a replacement trans for my 73 450 k5. However, the output shaft on the replacement trans is different from the output shaft of the transmission i removed from my bike.

I looked in my manual, and a picture of the cb500 trans is different from the picture of the cb450 trans. The cb450 trans output shaft has oil reserve screws or something on the end where the front sprocket goes.

I believe someone was in this engine before and swapped transmissions. I did have a problem with my 2nd gear popping, but diagnosis proved it was NOT the trans (it was everything else)

SO my question, are the cb500 trans and 450 trans interchangeable? Why are they slightly different on the output shaft?

Thanks -Dan Walsh

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Don't take any of this for gospel because I'm going strictly from memory here..

The CB500T tranny I believe has the first 2 or 3 gears spaced a little closer together as far as ratios go.. The output shaft on the 500T they just got rid of the oiler.. All the oilers were good for was making a mess anyway.

Again, this could be dead wrong. I could be confusing that ratio difference wit hthe CL models?? Not sure...

ANYONE ELSE???

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think they will swap out, but like bird said there is a difference in the ratios, though I don't (right off) remember what the difference is. I think I have that info somewhere, but I was just getting ready to leave and IF no one has come in an given you the info you need, I'll try to locate what I have on that. ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A chain oiler you say. interesting. If i use the cb450 trans with out the oil reserve plug, will there be any problems.
The cb500 trans does fit into the cases perfectly and lines up with the forks perfectly. I turned the drum and watched the forks move, nothing binded or caused any problems.
I can take a picture(s) if anyone would like to see the difference.
Thanks all
-Dan Walsh

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but just thinking about things down the road...
Since the 500 has taller gears I might be interested in swapping out with a 450. So according to this thread that shouldn't be a problem, right? And would the difference really give me a noticeable improvement in acceleration?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I thought where it mates to the clutch or something was different too, so a few other parts were necessary. I've heard of racers using 500 trains in 450's because of the closer spaced gears. 1st is taller on the 500 I think. With a specific bikes powerband you'd just have to try it to see if you like it better I'd think. Maybe some would but most won't, that why Honda did it that way?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts