Honda Twins banner

CB500 exhaust downpipe / header question

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Windmill John 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

First picture below shows my right header. Looks good. I’ve never seen a header with a baffle plate... but anyway.

The second picture shows my left header. Is that.... top normal!? Behind it as can be seen through the hole is the same baffle plate as the right, but this ‘plate’ on top looks a bit home made. It’s not removable, but I cannot imagine the headers would not match. it could be standard and an attempt to match exhaust pulses, but now I’m making things up!

Any ideas please, thanks.

Metal Auto part Pipe Muffler Automotive exhaust
Auto part Rim Spoke Wheel Pipe

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, first of all, that looks like the crossover, so the baffles are not in the direct exhaust path, but control the strength of the pressure wave from one pipe to the other. As to why there is an extra baffle, between the other two baffles, you may have to write Honda.

#6 ·
Thanks all. As it’s the crossover, I’m not going to fiddle with that plate. When I put it back together, any imbalance (perceived or otherwise) can be tweaked when I balance the carbs.

Anyway, I can always cut it out at some point in the future if needs be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.