Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I picked up a CB450K7 that seems to be alright. Minimal rust, good compression etc., turns over but it won't run. When trying to get it to run, if I give it any throttle it makes a bad sound. I figured it might have something to do with the valves (even though there is good compression...). Pulled the rear valve cover and found these two plastic rings floating around in there. Never been less happy to see a piece of plastic.

I looked at the parts fiche to figure out where these pieces came from and what they are, but couldn't find them.

What happened here? And how S.O.L am I?

IMG_20180607_140059.jpg
IMG_20180607_140126.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Those are the cam chain dampeners they go on the cam in the grooves under the chain. Since those are still intact I would cut them off before they break up into pieces. Not really needed for proper running just there to quiet the chain a bit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is also more of this plastic in the front: IMG_20180607_141748.jpg

This does not seem like a good situation :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frogman,

Ok, not such bad news. I can cut the ones off, but the one that has gotten jammed in the front might be tricky to fish out.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Go to the hardware or big-PITA box store and get a "grabber" or "fish" - the flexible thing that opens a set of claw-like fingers on one end when you push the "button" on the other. I used it to retrieve my cam chain when I dropped one end of it down in the bottom end during re-assembly of the cam in the frame. You can see how I used it in the link below from my build thread. Use it to reach down in there and get that piece before it breaks up into smaller pieces

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-project-logs/65305-cl450-project-reboot-street-legal-time-5.html#post632449

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up some long pliers from the ol Hazard Fraught and will fish out what I can tomorrow. O replied to an old thread about this , too. Seems to be a common problem.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get all the pieces so I am trying to think of a creative way to get everything.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Seems to be a common problem.
It's a "common problem" in large part because many, if not most, of those rubber rings are 40+ years old. Check the internals of any engine that old in a junkyard and you'll likely find similar results. Think about the massive advancements in knowledge, technology and engine design over that time and it's easy to see how it looked like a good idea that long ago - and Honda had no idea these things would be surviving this far in the future either... even then, there were growing regulatory concerns over total overall noise from motorcycles - not just exhaust, but everything including driveline, internal engine parts, etc. Ever hear a stock XL250 exhaust? It was so quiet that if you were standing 20 feet away from it with any normal outdoor ambient noise, you might not have known it was running... that was 1972.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts