Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a recommendation? Looking for floats and jets for both my carburetors. I'm getting gas in my crankcase and am pretty sure the petcock is not leaking in the off position. Been working on this bike since april. Got her running beautifully, but now this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
there's a place online called sirius consolidated. they have rebuild kits for almost everything but of course they're out of stock for 72-74. I'm looking for a 74 rebuild kit myself. If you come across any let me know and I'll do the same.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. I'll check it out. I was thinking of just ordering the OEM jets from bikebandit and rechecking my float levels. That seems to be a good cheap-ish option.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i dont understand why they would discontinue the rebuilt kits for k5-7. i can find a set for every other bike except for these years.

does anyone know if anything is compatible? it's a bit ridiculous that you can't find a rebuild kit anywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just found a couple Keyster kits from Sirius being sold on ebay. $25 each i think they were. Anyone used the Keyster kits? I've heard both good and bad things about them.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've bought 2 Keyster rebuild kits for a CB500T wich should be very similar to the ones you need and they are absolute crap. Not worth half what they cost (parts quality) and I've had many problems getting the bike running properly after installing them.

Maybe I was just unlucky? I've read nothing but bad things about them.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I can only echo the previous posters comments.
The sets I ordered for my 350 had 2 correct and 2 wrong jets, I've used the originals.
Only parts worth using weres the gaskets and needle valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mainly i ordered them for gaskets and needle valves... plus the 145 jets which are supposedly stock. looks like someone rejetted to 135. i try and adjust the pilot screw and the idle doesn't change.

can you still buy all the parts that you need for a rebuild... just not as a kit, or does no one make parts for these carbs now aside from keyster?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
I got the rebuild kits from SCI a keyster kit, I only used the O rings and float bowl gasket, the float bowl gasket fit tight and the top round gasket was to big and did not fit at all. I installed all of my original parts after cleaning. I also bought a old pair of carbs off ebay for $45, I needed the choke plate for the left carb. I also used a float from my spares. I would recommend you get a set of spare carbs as well. I cleaned up the spare set to use for parts only. I am saving all the parts as you never now when you may need them.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
evanhondacb450k7 said:
I'm just trying to see if the very minor wear on my float needles is responsible for the gas I'm getting in my crankcase.
Shut off the petcock EVERY time you park.....
CHANGE the oil immediately!........
What are your compression readings?.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already shut off the petcock every time I park. I've changed the oil. not getting gas in my crank case any more, but I'm burning up a lot of gas. I guess that's called running rich? The bike is in storage for the winter, but I'm gonna pull the carbs off and reset float levels before I start her up in the spring. My clymer doesn't say what the float height should be. anyone know what the float height should be for the 450k7?
I've never done a compression test? would that give me some critical info here?
thanks

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
evanhondacb450k7 said:
My clymer doesn't say what the float height should be. anyone know what the float height should be for the 450k7?
I've never done a compression test? would that give me some critical info here?
thanks
A link here will show you how to set float levels (in "Carb Setup")
http://home.comcast.net/~tbpmusic6/450site.htm

Checking compression is something you should do first - if you don't see 163 psi minimum on a 450, you have more to worry about than carb setup.
Check with a warm engine, throttle wide open, no choke....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts