Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asking lots of questions about this bike, and now that it is halfway disassembled it qualifies as a project.
It looked pretty good when I got it home, but a ride around the neighborhood revealed the problems with the clutch, break and suspension. It was also running really rich and the petcock is leaking.
I also have found some crash damage. The handlebars, centerstand, left footpeg, turn signal mounts and left fork ear were all bent. So now I have pulled it apart and am cleaning up the pieces and getting ready to put it back together.
Things I have addressed so far: Petcock, gas cap, new shocks, new tires, repaired fork ear, and disassembly and cleaning of parts.
Still to do: New handle bar, replace centerstand and foot peg bracket, tach cable, uni air filters, tear down and clean carbs, tear down and clean master cylinder and caliper, new brake lines, new fork seals.
I have probably spent a couple of hundred dollars so far on little rubber pieces and screws.
Now I just need to put it back together.

I hope to get through it over the next month, so please wish me luck.
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the countershaft sprocket cover off which has the clutch acutator gizmo stuck inside it. It looks like it was eaten by the chain, and was barely holding onto the clutch cable. This is another part that is no longer available, and I am going to guess that most salvage pieces are in the same condition.

Has anyone repaired one of these?

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That arm doesn't look very repairable to me. You may have to source a used one from Ebay or 66Sprint. I've probably got the centerstand for you though. I think I cut up my footpeg bracket to make a kickstand mount for my project bike...?

DON'T LOSE the little ball bearing that hides inside that little hole in your picture!!

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm currently working on a Kawasaki H1 rebuild that uses the same style of clutch actuator as the 450 does. There is a repair part for the cable receiver available from Reproduction Deals for the Kawasaki that I think would work on the 450 also.

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/defau ... .html~main (click on non oem parts in the menu selection on the left of the page. Then click on Kawasaki triples. Then click on controls and go about 3/4 way down the page.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
johnnyc14 said:
I'm currently working on a Kawasaki H1 rebuild that uses the same style of clutch actuator as the 450 does. There is a repair part for the cable receiver available from Reproduction Deals for the Kawasaki that I think would work on the 450 also.

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/defau ... .html~main (click on non oem parts in the menu selection on the left of the page. Then click on Kawasaki triples. Then click on controls and go about 3/4 way down the page.)
Have you tried this part on a 450? It looks just about right and certainly would be an easy fix. The only concern that I have is that the part gets wider on both sides of the arm where the Honda part looks like it just gets wide on the back. I just wonder if the part will stick out closer to the chain than the ill fated stock part.

I know someone else must make a clevis piece that is close to this. I have found something just about right from a minibike parts vendor, but I dont have the confidence in the part.

Maybe from an aircraft cable supply, they must use plenty of clevises.

If anyone has tried the part, please let me know,

Steve

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Chances are, for the price plus shipping on that part (most of $30) you could get a really nice used one on Ebay. Plus you know it'd fit.

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts