Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I certainly appreciate your concern, a quick cam chain and valve adjust maintenance activities needed, first.

Another thing is is checking the oil (drain it to see) for any debris, as well as the oil centrifugal filter accumulated detritus. (Hopefully nothing is in here!) if it looks bad, you’ll have to go deeper.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Definitely check the valves and cam chain, possibly check the float level and see if the carb is working as it should (Straw test)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Just for grins, disconnect the tach cable, and see if it still makes that noise as much. Also, make sure the spark plug is tight, and the exhaust header seal is good.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Check the compression, it may point out broken rings or a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The stator is cooled by the oil, so it is normal for oil to come out when removing the cover; a whole lot, if you have it on the side stand, and not the center stand, but even then ...

If the cam chain adjuster is not sticking from age, that is all there is to it. Don't over-tighten the bolt, so as not do create a burr on the part of the adjuster it holds.

I was guessing that the tach drive could be the source, however unlikely. Removing the cable keeps the cable from slapping it around some, so if the noise drops off, the drive could be the source.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
It is very hard to tell if the adjuster is stuck without taking it off; you can loosen the bolt and push a thin stick in the back of it, and feel it for motion while someone cranks the engine, and the chain flexes, but this is often so little, you still don't feel it.

Have you had the valve covers off yet? I suspect this is how you will find your noise - watch the valves move while cranking.

When I need a cold start after it has been sitting a few weeks, I use one of those small lithium booster batteries. They are easier to connect than jumper cables, and really work well.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
When you have the starter motor working, you can take the valve covers off, remove the spark plugs, and spin the motor. If the problem is in the valves, it should be fairly obvious, with parts moving where they shouldn't.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
You may have some oil spray, but at the low rpm of the starter motor, I wouldn't expect much oil pressure. Still, wrapping around the heads with absorbents may be a good idea.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Agreed the starter rotation is very low.
When you check the cam chain I will take off the adjuster if I have any suspicion its sticking. Then check the movement. Nip up the push rod in the fully compressed position then replace. Before releasing the cam tensioner gently apply some rotation to the rotor bolt without turning the engine. This pretensions the front of the cam chain. Then release the plunger this gives it the best opportunity to work as intended.
You may have some oil spray, but at the low rpm of the starter motor, I wouldn't expect much oil pressure. Still, wrapping around the heads with absorbents may be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Carb issues that cause carbon on plugs could be: float levels too high, wrong jets, CV piston not seating all the way down, blockages in the air jets. Really retarded spark timing could contribute, as could really out of adjustment valves.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I had UNI filters on my bike, and couldn't get them tuned in; gave up and got a set of repro filters, and reset the carb jetting to stock. Those UNI filters get you nothing, IMO.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
A poor battery can also give those symptoms, odd as it might seem. have you checked the battery and charging circuits?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey, Winter!

As always, thank you for your knowledge! Will remove the cam chain adjuster to clean, check the points and check the valve clearance, and will try to individually check each of the things you mentioned.
A friend told me that I should try to find a mechanic to do it as only people with knowledge and vacuum machines could correctly measure and adapt my carbs' behaviour to the new UNI foam filters (bike came to me with the stock air boxes), the air pressure and temperature, etc.
Hi,

I've just been through a very similar experience. Set things up, all goes well; next day ..... I got it sorted eventually, I think!

Fancy kit is not essential to setting up the carbs; have a look here: Honda CB450dohc Forum - Forum Index. - go to "Workshop" tab.

Sean

·
Registered
193 Posts
With respect to you "P.S" question - yes the follower should be on the base circle of the cam when adjusting the valves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts