Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Twin Friends!

Any advice or experiences of electronic ignition kits to CB450K5?

Althought my new member of the family looks great, the electrics are in bad condition.
Contact breakers see the picture...

And after installing new set of breakers the cover caused problems for engine's running.

Reima

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Reima, the cover caused problems because the screws holding the points wires are in the wrong direction - the nuts should be on the inside of the points terminals so the long part of the screw doesn't touch the metal cover and short them. As for electronic ignition, unless you are prepared to spend more money than the commonly available models out there, you might have problems with them that will leave you on the side of the road with a dead ignition system. Many people here have reported failures with the common models out there. I'm using points because I know they won't just stop working suddenly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks!
If got it right, please tell what is wrong with these new contacts that we installed yesterday evening with my nephew?
See the picture. The hole contact breaker unit is new from MCSNL.

I agree with you about the electronics, if keeping a vintage Jap bike so why not keep it original.
Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Rotor Steering part

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Those springs look like they stick out quite a bit.
You can see if they can be bent in a bit so they no longer touch the cover.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Reima, the cover caused problems because the screws holding the points wires are in the wrong direction - the nuts should be on the inside of the points terminals so the long part of the screw doesn't touch the metal cover and short them. As for electronic ignition, unless you are prepared to spend more money than the commonly available models out there, you might have problems with them that will leave you on the side of the road with a dead ignition system. Many people here have reported failures with the common models out there. I'm using points because I know they won't just stop working suddenly.
I think the points wire end are facing the wrong direction too. I like my points just fine too. It is an old bike after all:)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Tom meant that those contact points should be like this (horizontal versus vertical like yours)

Auto part
Auto part Disc brake Steering part Automotive starter motor Rotor

That said those springs still look like they stick out way farther than usual.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I like my PAMCO. But i do have towing insurance :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Guys here at the "local garage" like the Pamco setup.. but have also mentioned "Honda man" type setup.. (can be removed if failure happens- and points are used as normal)..
Me, I've got a E.I. On my old triumph (like pamco).. it is nice.. "set it and forget it"...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts