Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my starter started to act upp. Nothing even with direct 12+ on the pole on motor, solenoid seems also OK.
Opened it up and cleaned everything, still nothing so i have a bad feeling that it is not just the normal brushes/bushes jobb.
Have ordered repair kit but thought of getting another starter to have ready in case.
450 starters seem to be difficult to find so my question is if something else should fit, 350 looks close in pictures anyway.
///TRS

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I know repair shops are out there.. I had to do some searching for Lucas magneto repair.. and there are people out there...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i found a shop in Gothenburg. Now waiting for repair kit from David Silver to arrive.
To be continued...
///TRS

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, but probably will kickstart it until the short driving season here ends in fall-
///TRS

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually here in Gothenburg located by the sea and Golf stream, we usually only have snow about 2 weeks in early February. Rain and humid cold is our enemy!
///TRS

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So today i took a closer look at the starter after kickstarting the bike since June.
Measured no connection between the B+ connector and + brush!
Closer look showed the copper coil was broken just after the B+ connector.
I quick search on net shoved 2 starters but both in US so with shipping, customs, VAT... i would have had an expensive old starter.
Decided to do it the old way. Coils out, cleaned and soldered a standard ring connector on the broken coil end. A bit of shrink hose on it and now it works.
What a rewarding feeling to get stuff to work the old way instead just changing parts.
starter.jpg Starter1.jpg

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Good Job!......
Note that that particular problem is USUALLY caused by loosening or tightening the cable nut on/off with only one wrench
(instead of holding the lower nut in position with a second wrench.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts