Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a guy in the UK - a gorgeous (but confusing) 450.
Not like the "euro" 450's we've seen, different fenders, turn signals/taillight, etc.

Love the "SuperHawk" bars.......I believe they're correct for this bike.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
I think you'll find it's a bits'a the;
Tail light bracket is from a Euro K0 the Euro K1 is the same but without the indicators stems,
The seat has a K3-4 covering and looks to be rear hinging so may be from a K3/4,
The rear shocks are K0, most likely Hagons,
The engine is a K0 4speed, Note the exhaust clamps, (well the cylinder head is K0) WRONG.. i remember reading somewhere that the early K1 were fitted with the K0 heads. so most like is an early K1 5 speed with a K0 head ;)
The rear guard is K3-4
The front head light is from ?????? the headlight ring is too thick, so it's from a ????, Yep it's correct, just had a look at my parts book :oops:
The front guard is from an unknown bike, note the attachment brackets.
The indicators are aftermarket replicas
The side covers are K2's

But I'd own it and ride the paint off it :lol:

Just a start :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, this is pretty much the "Euro" model we've seen the most of (this one from Spain, I think) - note the Bomber-style starter motor, yet it is a 5-speed.
There was substantial variation in non-US models - it also appears that the UK market had its own models.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
The K1-2 are a fun bike to get your head around as they had several variations. The US models are the easy ones to identify as the US market was the largest market so have there own unique variations backed up with very good parts books and numbering system, E.G if the number ends with 670 it's a US only item ;)

The European models had their own changes with the Swedes having different guards, badges and some parts fitted from earlier models. The french and Germans also had a different tail light, indicators, rear guard, speedo (KPH) and numerous other small changers.

The Australian models were somewhat different with no regulator fitted so a different wiring harness, different rear guard and other subtitles.

To make it all that much harder the where the "general export models" that were sent all over the world to fill shortfalls in sales, these differ by having the frame and engine numbers starting with CB450K1-XXXXX and CB450K1E-XXXX.

They have turned up in the US, England, Europe and i have one down stairs. They generally are similar to the home market bike (Japan) but will have either a KPH or a MPH speedo with the Australian guards and wiring harness and no regulator, oh, and small things like the rear shock absorber frame studs are 8mm on the right and 10mm on the left :roll: go figure. :)

To make the job somewhat more difficult, Japan sent some US spec bikes to Europe, including the "D" kits and the US spec K1's, fitted with the correct Euro parts but US side covers etc :shock: :shock:

I just love my K1-2's

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Actually, this is pretty much the "Euro" model we've seen the most of (this one from Spain, I think) - note the Bomber-style starter motor, yet it is a 5-speed.
There was substantial variation in non-US models - it also appears that the UK market had its own models.

I think that this bike might be German as it had the german market rear light and indicators.

Very interesting to follow your conversation about the K0 to K2 differences on different markets. This knowledge is very important to save as I have a feeling most restored bikes have none correct parts.
Some day (way in the future when I am rich as a Scandinavian troll (or a bank director with a big bonus deal)) I would like to own a concourse K1 as this in my eyes is one of the most beautiful bikes ever built.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
This is a general export K2 :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so I talked to the UK fellow that has the bike in the first photo of this thread.

He assures me it is a 5-speed, and the engine number is CB450E-002063xx

The frame number is 302030xx, which would be a K2 number in the US. It's definitely a 5-speed frame.

All the fenders and turn signals/taillight are apparently correct for the UK K1, this one is titled as a 1970.......
The headlight visor thingie is period aftermarket.
The front fender looks similar to CL450K3 (also 1970 in the US) and up, to me at least .
By 1970, the US already had the K3, the availability of those parts may have shaped the final form of this UK model.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
That's strange as on his web site he states that he is waiting for a proper front fender from the US. The front fender is like no 450 fender I have ever seen fitted to a K1-2 or 3 and none of my parts books show a fender anything like that :?

The rear taillight and indicator bracket is a Euro one that was only used in germany and sweden. The UK one did not have the indicators fitted as they were on the frame just as the UK K0 ones.

In all a lovely CB450 K? with some questionable parts fitted and if Chris from the UK could chime in I'm sure we'd all be wiser :D :D

This post from Chris shows two UK K1's viewtopic.php?f=23&t=292 ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi guys,
Okay, so I'm the owner of the bike in questions and hopefully can tell you what I know about it.

The frame number plate states it is a K1. The fact that it was registered in 1970 (in the UK) tells me that the dealer had the bike stuck on his showroom floor for a long time. As we all know, this is not an uncommon thing with end of line bikes (even with modern bikes).

It is a 5-speed and the engine and frame numbers match those on the official registration document. The seat has been completely rebuilt by hand, so that's why it looks like no other (it is rear mounting by the way).

The front fender is one of those God-Awful pattern parts that you see so often here in the UK on things like Superdreams (I have one of those too). They are very square-section in their form and quite ugly. As stated, I have bought a new one from America which is in transit as we speak. The new one is not the correct part for a UK bike, but it'll be a damned sight better looking than what's on now.

The indicators are pattern-parts but very close match to what was on originally. The rear tail-light/indicator issue is probably due to changes made by the person who restored the bike originally. I agree that it's non-standard (but looks pretty fine).

Any other questions - feel free to ask.

Tom.
http://www.mcqart.com

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,
I would like to add my thoughts to the bikes originality, from what I can see the tank badge is wrong( it should not display the script " 450")
Front mudgard, possibly off a superdream ( the original should have the slash cut front )
Rear mudgard looks to be off a U.S. spec model
Seat is wrong shape( should have the ducks tail, like a 750 ko)
Exhaust header clamps look to be off a K o model

Ditto the exhaust clamp studs
Fuel filler cap should have a relatively flat top, not the domed one that Honda now supply as a replacement
Headlamp I am not too sure about but it should have a diameter of approximately 6 inches
Having said all that, the above is not meant to be critical, but constuctive just in case you want to put it back to how nature intended , but all in all if it were mine I would just want to ride it and enjoy it as it looks great!

kind regards

Phillip

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Phillip,
I have the original tank emblems but actually prefer the "450" ones. I explained (somewhere) that the seat has been rebuilt by hand and therefore looks like no other, lol. The front fender is indeed a pattern part commonly used on CB250N's and the headlight is absolutely stock apart from the period visor which I fitted.

People seem to think the indicators (winkers) aren't correct, but they are for a UK bike. See also, this magazine article looking at another CB450 of the same period...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Yep :D it's all in the interpretation and the telling :D What i was alluding to without going over the top was that the indicators are modern pattern parts, correct in appearance, incorrect in detail, i.e wrong colour (to dark) and not the exact shape and well you get the picture.

The issue i have with Euro models/parts is that they tend to move around a bit. German bikes turn up in England etc, with more people wanting these bikes, they start looking elsewhere, the US etc. So the only real reference are the Honda Parts books, service bulletins and period sales material. Magazine articles are horribly inaccurate and just like this web forum tainted with conjecture and miss-interpreation :)

As i keep saying it's a great looking bike, now with a couple of small changes will be an exceptional bike ;) The front guard/fender you are getting from the US may be the wrong one :lol: :lol: as the US bikes were never fitted with the UK/rest of the world, style guard. But if it's the style I'm thinking of it's my pick of the front guards :D :D

Have a look at the two other bike photos in this thread and that is the correct guard (ugly if you ask me) for you bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Rod,
Trying to understand these CB450 variants is like trying to crack the Enigma Code :lol:

Anyway, the mudguard that is hopefully bobbing up and down on the waves of the Atlantic Ocean enroute to England is the one shown below. Complete with mudflap. And no, it's not the right one for my UK K1, but it's a darn sight better than that ugly square-section thing that's on now. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
MadDogMcQ said:
Hi Rod,
Trying to understand these CB450 variants is like trying to crack the Enigma Code :lol:

Anyway, the mudguard that is hopefully bobbing up and down on the waves of the Atlantic Ocean enroute to England is the one shown below. Complete with mudguard. And no, it's not the right one for my UK K1, but it's a darn sight better than that ugly square-section thing that's on now. :D
Actually the K1-2 are the worst, after that Honda got it's act together and it's fairly easy. I have collected 7 different parts books that cover the K0-1-2 CB and CL bikes as well as the complete service notes on all CB/CL 450's this makes the job a lot easer :D :D

yep that's the one, love the look and my pick of CB450 guards :D And if i have my way this one will be flying it's way to OZ soon..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-cb ... 500wt_1182

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
MadDogMcQ said:
Oh dear!! Dear oh dear oh dear!

You should NEVER point out great finds to me Rod.
That's a beauty! You might end up being out bid :roll:

:D :lol: :D
Noooooooooooo, we have an evil one amongst us, run away, run away :shock:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Maddog
I live not far from you, on the yorkshire/lancashire border( naturally the yorkshire side) just the other side of Colne, whan the weather improves we will have to compare bikes!
kind regards
Phillip

1 - 20 of 20 Posts