Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all, after some struggles registering for this site, I'd like to introduce my Honda twin. It's a '68 CB450k1 in German spec (same spec we got here in the NL). It was parts of a collection and stored for many yeas covered in tectyl, so it's relatively free of rust and still has many of the original parts.

Although the outside was covered in tectyl, the inside of the tank was not :( I managed to get myself nice tank (needs respraying) and after drinking some coffee, the guy said a friend of his might have some 450-stuff... So 30 minutes later I had an extra 450 engine, also k1! Really nice :)

I'm living in The Netherlands, and I already hooked up with some other k1 owners for some advice. Well, so far the introduction. I hope to keep you posted on the progress of getting to bike up and running and looking good!

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
tectyl is a rust inhibitor.

·
Registered
636 Posts
nice 450!

looks like tectyl is similar to LPS3, spray on waxy type stuff for storage or shipping. We use LPS3 to coat bare steel parts prior to sea shipping and it works really well. A spatula and WD40 works well to help get it off on the other side.

http://tectyl2.valvolineeurope.com/inde ... 306f678f52

wish someone had used something like this stuff on mine prior to letting it sit for 22 years... but then again, there is nothing as fun as unveiling what the rust has hidden. (yes, a bit of sarcasm there, but it is actually a bit fun to see how good some things look after a bit of brass bristle brushing)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome. Tectyl indeed is some sort of spray one grease/rust inhibitor. So the bike looks a bit sticky but once polished it really looks good!

I've started looking around for some missing parts and except for the headlight casing, i'm nearly there. More pics hopefully soon the the 450-department.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome to the site. Great bike!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts