Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

In the process of replacing my cam chain, I've discovered that my tachometer drive has a bent shaft. See the attached picture. This shaft that pokes down inside the exhaust camshaft is noticeably bent (to the right in the photo). It rotates, but its tip traces an eccentric orbit because of the bend in the shaft. I'm assuming that it's not supposed to be this way, but this is my first time working on a CB450 so I'm not sure. I can't see any reason why it should be bent (nor any reason for HOW it got bent in the first place?!).

So, before I start looking on eBay for a replacement... is it supposed to be like this?

Thanks!

IMG_3110.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I can't imagine how it got bent (but POs can do pretty much anything if they try hard enough), but no, it isn't supposed to orbit when it turns. That said, it really isn't a big deal since it goes inside the camshaft and turns with it at the same speed, so it just means it's a little closer to one side of the cam than the other internally. It delivers oil flow out of the holes in the end of it, which goes across the inside of the cam to lube the other side bearing surface and the followers and lobes out the orifices in the cam lobes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts