Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of the most likely cause of my CB450 (1972) suddenly losing power on the road. I've been following this forum for years to repair my CB350 and work on my newly acquired CB450, which has been rebuilt but mostly in a stock configuration.

I was taking the CB450 for a ride in the mountains for about an hour, when it started to lose power at high revs, then completely lost power. No ignition, no lights , nothing. When I got towed home I checked the battery and fuse and they're both fine. The battery had been recharged the week before. It has a new rectifier, but both the regulator and ignition switch are original. It also had a pamco installed recently.

Can anyone give me an idea of likely suspects? I'm going to work on it on the weekend, but don't know much about the electronics and hoping to get some guidance

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Check. Your oil level!!! I was in the middle of a thread regarding 450s "using" oil (vent tube) from prolong rides at 70mph with catastrophic results...
do a search...
Found it ...it is under. "73' cb450"
I hope this isn't ur issue

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If in fact all your electrics are dead and your battery is fully charged (12.6v minimum) you'll need a test light or multimeter to determine where you have voltage and where you don't.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/8-pictures-videos/45184-73-cb450.html
Guess I should have read the thread through fully...
I saw cb450 power loss and this thread came instantly to mind...
Check your oil anyway.... wouldn't hurt.. I know it isn't the cause here.. but may eliminate one in the future..

Check your grounds.. my 450 had a intermittent spark on one plug..it was a bad ground on one of the condensers...,
Sometimes the simple things cause the most headaches.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
While poking around the power system, switch the Run/Stop switch to off, so you don't cook your coils or the Pamco unit. You can switch it on long enough to verify power at the coils, but don't keep them powered for long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the ground, then check for power at the key switch. Red wire is power from the battery. With the key on power will go to all other wires, black, brown and brown/white.
Great thanks, the ignition switch is my first suspect and I have a test light at my folks garage so will hunt the fault tomorrow morning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts