Honda Twins banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Guys I did find a set of muffs that fit pretty well right out of the box. The 26" Emgo Reverse cones come with inlets a little larger than 1/8" bigger than the headers. Enough for a few wraps of muffler repair tape to create a gasket before you clamp the muffs on. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how they sound, not loud at all, they allow the throaty intake sound through as well.

I got mine here -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-26-Rever ... d4&vxp=mtr

They have a website and periodically stuff goes on sale so you can snatch them up cheaper.

dgallagher said:
Forgot to do this, wanted to post these pics’s of rear sets for asdfqwer426, if you are riding south down the Mississippi give me a call, I would be glad to show you the bike and rear sets, and get a ride in.

I used round bar, a 14mm ID bearing, I got large washers and had a machinist enlarge the ID of the washer to fit tight with the OD of the bearing, then pressed them in and stacked them. I used a trailer hitch pin, " I got this at a farm implement store it is the same length and OD as the Honda pin but is solid, the Honda pin is hollow and tends to bend in the middle were the center stand attaches, which is why they are so hard to remove and sometimes need to be cut, this pin solves that problem." I utilize the old attach points welded to the new round bar, also the old passenger peg, and the foot rest of the old brake pedal. the ball joints are 1/2 Q-D ball joint also purchased at the farm implement store. These have not been cleaned up for paint, I finish them with short strand fiberglass to remove inperfections before paint. Hope this helps.
Bump!

Hi there - I am still keen on a set of these for my CB450.

My bike is almost done and it is close to the 'this is what Honda would have done to the CB450 in 1965 if they wanted to build a special cafe racer model' look that I am going for...

... apart from the billet rear sets.

I would stil love a set of your home built rear sets, and I have the parts to send over as donor parts to build them from.

I reckon with your rear sets, my bike would look 100% 'period correct'.

Cheers,

Cliff

Discussion starter · #66 ·
Posted this under a thread in wheels and brakes but wanted it here as well. Now that drive train is finished I am down to paint and some wiring, but all is waiting on paint. Snowing right now but looking at 62 on Sunday so hoping to at least paint the handle bar switch casings so I can finish all the wiring.

Ordered and received my sprockets for the 73 k6, went stock this time 15/35, I got them from Western Hills Honda. I would recommend them for many items. The sprockets are OEM and the rear comes as a assembled unit with the sprocket, bolts and nuts and the chain guard. great product at a fair price. The nuts are the locking type that do not require lock washers or the locking tab washer. below is a pic of sprockets on bike and link to the parts page at WHH #3 is the rear sprocket assembly.

http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/ ... veh=131043

Attachments

dgallagher said:
Posted this under a thread in wheels and brakes but wanted it here as well. Now that drive train is finished I am down to paint and some wiring, but all is waiting on paint. Snowing right now but looking at 62 on Sunday so hoping to at least paint the handle bar switch casings so I can finish all the wiring.

Ordered and received my sprockets for the 73 k6, went stock this time 15/35, I got them from Western Hills Honda. I would recommend them for many items. The sprockets are OEM and the rear comes as a assembled unit with the sprocket, bolts and nuts and the chain guard. great product at a fair price. The nuts are the locking type that do not require lock washers or the locking tab washer. below is a pic of sprockets on bike and link to the parts page at WHH #3 is the rear sprocket assembly.

http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/ ... veh=131043

Very nice bits.

I was wondering about adding one of those rear sprocket chain guards to my bike - can they be purchased as a separate item?

Discussion starter · #68 ·
Yes they can. If you go to their site at the link in my last post you will see it, #4 or 004 plate sprocket side $19.89 us. WHH has a ton of oem stuff for 450's and other twins, great resource.

Discussion starter · #69 ·
Well starting to put it back together, got everything painted and starting to buff some of it, the white spots you see are buffing compound splatter. I wanted to post some pic’s of the fairing attachment and the cables before I put the fairing on. I covered all cables with tubing, there is no way to avoid the cables rubbing against each other and the tubing eliminates chaffing. As you can see I did not chrome the side panels, it was to reflective and with the fairing it was just to much, so I painted them instead, I mixed some silver from the fender paint of my first bike with black and it produce this bronze color that I really like, in the sun it pops bronze but in the shade it looks a shade of black. I will post up more and better pic's when I get it all together. :)

Attachments

Discussion starter · #72 ·
I agree Nigel, but the reflection off the back of the fairing was just to much, tomorrow well tell as I hope to get the fairing mounted, however rain until Sunday so will not be able to get it in the sun until Sunday. :(
I first tried mixing black into primarily silver and it came out to gun metal, then I tried the silver into primarily black and it came out the bronze color which I liked, I also added a touch of flattener to retard the shine and reduce any glare. Definitely a more rich looking, or sinister if you like.

Discussion starter · #74 ·
Thanks Drifter, here are some finished pic's, I had one hell of a day so I could only snap these at the end of the day with out cleaning the bike up much, I will try to get some good shots later. The wife forgot I needed the car for work to day so I had to press this bike into service, normally I do a lot of short rides to make sure all is well but today I had 45 minutes to adjust and lube the chain, bleed the brakes and pour some gas in the tank to get me to the filling station. I did a quick re-tune at the station and then a 70 mile commute. Thankfully all went well, I did loose one fender brace bolt and I was lucky because I only hand tighten them all on. After all the work and time I put into this I hated having to rush the brake in like that, needless to say I did mention my disappointment to the wife. I will try to get some good shots later, but painting the house must be done over the next week before the weather goes south so better pic's will have to wait.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #76 ·
Thanks Unc, can't wait to ride it more later this week once the house is painted, the fairing really makes it nice on the highway. I kept the sprockets stock on this bike but it goes along at 70 with no problem about 5600 rpm and if you put your helmet into the fairing it will quickly pick up speed. So far I am very pleased with the way it rides and feels.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #77 ·
Did find a problem, on my first bike the cats eye tail light I got from speedmotoco on ebay worked great and I never had a problem with it. On this bike I bought the smaller cats eye tail light form 2wheelproject and it is given me issues. After the 70 mile commute it started to melt the lens, I have sense put in some additional washers for spacing and we will see but I would not use this tail light again and may be looking to buy one form speedmotooco in the very near future. :(

Discussion starter · #78 ·
Finally got out on a good ride today and got some better pic's, I just love fall, the bike runs better and I am not sweating under the leather. :D So far after 250 miles all is well on this bike, hope it stay's that way.

Attachments

dgallagher, I admire your work. The bike looks great, and it sounds like it is really running well for you too.

I was just looking back through your thread, and if you mentioned this, I missed it. I am wondering what sort of prep work you did to your chrome fenders prior to paint? Did you have them reverse plated? Bead blasted? Sand blasted? They came out very nice. I have some to do myself and would hope to do as well.

Also, can you share with us the specs on the paint you used for your frame parts? Also the paint for the fenders?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ray

p.s. I like the way you did the mirror stalks. I was considering doing something similar on the Triumph I just completed, but I found a mounting bracket that satisified me. Nobody seems to bend the mirror stalks at enough of an angle to bring the mirror close enough to the hand grip. I am not a big fan of bar-end mirrors for various reasons, though I generally like the way they look. Your solution looks great on your bike.

dgallagher said:
Did find a problem, on my first bike the cats eye tail light I got from speedmotoco on ebay worked great and I never had a problem with it. On this bike I bought the smaller cats eye tail light form 2wheelproject and it is given me issues. After the 70 mile commute it started to melt the lens, I have sense put in some additional washers for spacing and we will see but I would not use this tail light again and may be looking to buy one form speedmotooco in the very near future. :(
The bike looks amazing! Love the fairing.

I'm running these LED bulbs in the tail light of my CB750 for over a year and it's been great. Just put one in the 350 as well. Seems bright enough and won't melt the lens.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ual-intensity-25-led-motorcycle-bulb/170/767/

61 - 80 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.