Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
My current rear wheel on my 450 K-6 has a good deal of pitting in the chrome and has seen its better days. I'm in the market for a replacement and would consider a rear wheel from another model but am finding it difficult in determining compatibility. I am aware that the 750 rear wheel will not fit without considerable modification and I would prefer to execute a one for one swap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
are you just looking for a new rim or the whole enchilada, hub and rim? the 450 takes a 40 hole rim, got some from Buchanan with stainless spokes for a fair bit of cash..

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You can get some new spokes and a new rim or better used one and relace it yourself. It will have a large learning curve but there are articles on the internet that show the process. You'd re-use your old hub.. You could even switch to an aluminum rim such as a Yamaha XS rim if it's a 40 hole.. Possibly a Goldwing aluminum rim..

Ebay and Craigslist often have a lot of good usable wheels for cheap too.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
XS 650 alloy rims are 36 spokers......Lace up nicely to a 350/360 rear hub though....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. I do intend to replace the rim myself with a less corroded rim from a donor model hence the original question. The pitting on my original rim is quite extensive, however the inner hub and the drum brake are in great shape. I'll swap out the guts and replace into a donor rim. Let me re-phrase my original question;

Has anyone had any luck in performing a one for one swap of a 500/4 or a 550/4 (1972 to 1975) rear wheel over to a 450? Were any headaches encountered in the swap out or was it a simple R&R?

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
you can swap out anything with the same size rim, number of holes and same size hub very easily. If you swap out something with a different size hub or rim size you may have trouble with the spoke angles and or need new spokes.
for example a rear XS650 hub has a larger brake drum so the spoke holes are drilled at a steeper angle. the front XS650 hub is for a 19" rim and (all but one yeear) have disk brakes so the spoke angle is less steep.

spoke angle is important to consider for aluminum rims since the thickness of the rim will prevent the nipple from turning properly if the angle is too far off. steel rims are much thinner and allow you to get away with greater variations in spoke angles. you also need to consider the diameter of the nipples and spokes...I believe Honda is pretty consistant with spoke diameters so staying in the same family and era of bikes is your best bet.

I never run old spokes myself if I'm relacing a wheel...for the amount of effort it takes to relace and true your wheels I don't trust 30 year old steel that's been under that type of torture. especially if your spoke angles are anything less than perfect. they have a tendancy to fail in pairs just above the threads.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
The sprocket offsets are wider (out more) on the 4-cylinder bikes... You couldmachine the difference down, but the stock 500/4 or 550/4 is NOT a drop-in swap....

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
outobie said:
you can swap out anything with the same size rim, number of holes and same size hub very easily. If you swap out something with a different size hub or rim size you may have trouble with the spoke angles and or need new spokes.
for example a rear XS650 hub has a larger brake drum so the spoke holes are drilled at a steeper angle. the front XS650 hub is for a 19" rim and (all but one yeear) have disk brakes so the spoke angle is less steep.

spoke angle is important to consider for aluminum rims since the thickness of the rim will prevent the nipple from turning properly if the angle is too far off. steel rims are much thinner and allow you to get away with greater variations in spoke angles. you also need to consider the diameter of the nipples and spokes...I believe Honda is pretty consistant with spoke diameters so staying in the same family and era of bikes is your best bet.

I never run old spokes myself if I'm relacing a wheel...for the amount of effort it takes to relace and true your wheels I don't trust 30 year old steel that's been under that type of torture. especially if your spoke angles are anything less than perfect. they have a tendancy to fail in pairs just above the threads.
This is important info. Years ago I the rear wheel come apart on my '74 CB750. The wheel had one broken spoke when I bought it. After riding for a year or so, I was stoplight dragging a buddy and heard a loud pop. I got home and there were six broken spokes. The rear end had quite a wobble in it. My 450 is getting new spokes. The wheels look so nice when they are polished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts