Honda Twins banner

41 - 60 of 368 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
I think your bike looks excellent with that particular chrome tank, chrome fenders and the other equipment. To me your colour scheme highlights the performance character of the bike much better than a silver which would IMO put an emphasis on reflecting the good old days. But that’s just my personal feeling.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm fortunate to have my build come out pretty much as I'd envisioned it. Looking forward to your progress, it will be worth the wait for you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Today I’ve got my rocker arms back from Delta Camshaft in Washington State. Some guys here recommended their service and I think they’ve done a pretty good job. (Although I've had to call them more than once to remind them of my rockers but I've known this in advance.) As reported they've added the removed material at the bottom tip rather than on the top surface. It will take a while before they go back where they belong but I'm really happy with the result so far.
Does anybody know why the’ve kind of semi-polished the rocker arms? They are the exact same rockers as the ones I’ve send in, so no exchange...

Before...
IMG_8128.jpg
...and after.
IMG_8639.jpg

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Made some final orders before everything goes in moving boxes. There are still some parts missing but I just can't order everything in one go. It won't be the last parts order anyway...
One thing I can tell you is that it doesn't feel great putting everything away for an undefined amount of time, now that I've reached this stage in my rebuild. Sigh...

At least some days left to (hopefully) finish the paint job on the tank and maybe some clear coat on the frame. The frame didn't come out as I expected. Too much orange peel. I still have to decide if I just leave it as it is or if I try to treat the visible parts with some 2k clear coat. The duplicolor clear coat I've bought is horrible. I don't know, there's always the risk of making it worse...

IMG_8689.jpg

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So, this will have been definitely the very last job on my project here in the US. The packers are in fact wrapping things in the living room right now and I’m glad to have mostly finished the tank and side covers so far. I put on the clear coat yesterday in the early morning hours cause it seems to be too hot to spray paint during day time. I’m pretty pleased with the results although it still needs to be polished. This will happen in a few months from now in Baku then. There are also many small mistakes visible but this was my first tank and I really wanted to see how good it can get if you do it your own. I’ve learned a lot and wouldn’t hesitate to do it all over again if the minor mistakes are going to annoy me in the future.
It’s hard to say a product is good if you don’t have much experience as I but the SprayMax 2K clear coat is absolut fantastic. It sprays excellent, is very accurate, very consistent and is adjustable. Everything is just perfect. If a real pro handles this stuff it must be almost as good as a spray gun. The silver colour looks really "deep" under the gloss, what is exactly what I've envisioned.

IMG_8538.jpg
IMG_8634.jpg
IMG_8706.jpg
IMG_8710.jpg
IMG_8742.jpg
Before clear coat...
IMG_8797.jpg
...and after.

I know that some dents are still visible but I'm ok with that.

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
From what I can see in the pictures, you did a good job on the paint - and I like the "rising sun" idea behind the Honda emblem, nice touch. Simple but creative and well-executed, and I'm no one to critique body work... I tried my hand at it when I was young with the help of my father (body work and paint was his trade) and I was well below average. There's nothing better than the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Thanks for your compliments. I apprechiate it! Yeah, a nice vintage look (without beeing 100% correct) is the main concept for that bike. I can't wait to put the "preserve nature" sticker on that tank and the polished triple tree on the fork and the grey cables ... sigh...
It'll have to wait though...

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Yes, Delta Camshaft was the way to go with your cam followers. Living 30 miles north of Tacoma, WA, I was able to hand deliver and pick up. And with my followers came two gray stones which could have been from the tumbling machine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
So, everything is gone now. It is a little sad to be without all that motorcycle stuff for a while but it also clears up the head when living without all of your possessions for a while. I‘m in a hotel now with my family and will leave the US in a couple of days. Then I’m expecting to wait for the container at least for another six weeks in Azerbaijan. I asked the shipper to send me some pictures of the motorcycles when they are packed in the container. I’m just curious. They were not very convincing when strapping them on the truck. But maybe it’s just better not to see what they are doing. Might be too painful...

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
It's a scary and disconcerting feeling to watch someone else handling and transporting your bikes... things have improved dramatically over the decades since wreckers (tow trucks) were all old-school with the straps/slings and prehistoric bumper-towing design for cars sometimes applied to motorcycles (it was actually used in the '70s when I worked for the City of Tampa, and many Harleys got damaged that way), but it's still a risk putting the cosmetic and sometimes structural health of your bike in someone else's hands. Not to mention the boxed items as well, shippers have proven that no matter how you package something, they can find a way to damage it. Yes, probably better to not see and hope for the best (ignorance is bliss)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So, the moving is almost done and I live now with my family 10.000km (or 6000 miles) east in Baku/Azerbaijan. Everything went relatively smooth but the very best is, my bikes arrived last week without any scratch or notable damage. I can't tell you what a relief this was, especially considering the logistics from DC to Baku (tow truck > container > warehouse I > 18 wheeler > warehouse II > tow truck).
The small bits and pieces of the moving will probably keep me busy the following weeks but I see the light at the end of the tunnel, yeah!

IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_9959.jpg

The two ladies in the foreground had some issues before I moved (500T no spark and 450 probably some carb issues) I have to figure out sometime soon. The bike this blog is about sits in the back and in boxes all over the place. I'm so looking forward to restart the rebuild...

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Gunnar, nice to hear you have made it. I'm looking forward to following your finishing on the '72. Also, when you get on the road it would be fun to hear about the motorcycling scene in Baku. Fall has started here in Seattle. Not a lot of riding weather left.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Jim, I‘ll certainly do a separate post about the motorcycle scene in Baku sometime soon. It is indeed quite different im many aspects...
The weather here is still perfect if not too warm for riding with peak temperatures of 29c (sorry US friends) today, but it will change soon. Doesn’t matter, garage is waiting...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Certainly glad I decided to check this one out. Really has some interesting details. And the approach on the paint scheme is cool. I can sure identify with your feelings, starting on the project & having to stop, box everything up and do a very big move like that. I can't wait, to see your being able to pick back up on this and work toward finishing it. And, the color scheme is so different than most anything I have seen, except Tom's and That is refreshing as well. Not that there is anything wrong with other's ideas, as far as paint & such, but to break away from a typical idea, as far as paint scheme and such and to stand out, like yours looks to be doing, is impressive in itself. Color me "Anxiously waiting." ;)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hi Bill, thanks for your comment, I appreciate it. You’re not the only one „anxiously waiting“ for progress on this bike. I’m almost sick from seeing parts waiting for me every day but having no time to reengage in the project, but I’ve got a good excuse. One of my other projects is my almost 9 months old son I’m taking care of at this point. His 3 1/2 years old big brother is almost ready to help out in the garage. I’m hoping to slowly re-start the project within the following weeks but the first steps would be to set up the workspace anyway. Most likely I might not use the garage for reassembly because I’m having an extra room with plenty of daylight but it needs to be adjusted at first.
The colour scheme is something I’m still happy with although I’m not so happy how the frame turned out at the end. I’m currently thinking of another layer of 2K clear coat. Let’s see...
Toms bike is IMO one if the best builds/restorations on this site but not because of the colour. I love the attention to technical details and the thoughtful concept that isn’t focused just on the looks.
So let’s hope I can restart soon :)

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
Toms bike is IMO one if the best builds/restorations on this site but not because of the colour. I love the attention to technical details and the thoughtful concept that isn’t focused just on the looks.
So let’s hope I can restart soon :)
Aww shucks... thanks! :D I tried to put as much attention to the little details as possible, since everything you touch reveals something else that needs attention next to it. I really like how yours is coming along and look forward to seeing you getting back to it soon.

41 - 60 of 368 Posts