Honda Twins banner

21 - 40 of 368 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
I like the idea. I did chrome on my fenders and tank because it was simpler, but I like the look of silver with the red frame, very limited CL77-ish (except I made my chain guard satin black and headlight mounts polished aluminum to break things up a bit). Do it!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I like it, I'd put a small wing logo on the tank(less busy), and alloy or chrome rims(they make the tires stand out and good tires look good)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Red is righteous! Rustolem Red is a close match for the Honda Racing Red. The black is a Duplicolor Black match color. This is a working man's 450. Some day I would like to get a good paint job, chrome and upholstery.

Jim's CB450.jpg

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Red is righteous! Rustolem Red is a close match for the Honda Racing Red. The black is a Duplicolor Black match color. This is a working man's 450. Some day I would like to get a good paint job, chrome and upholstery.

View attachment 244050
Jim
How do your colours withstand the elements, scratches etc.? I know if I'm gonna do it on my own it certainly won't be perfect but I will at least use suitabe paint.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Meanwhile I took some measurements in the cylinders. I knew I couldn't do a precision measurement because I was to parsimonious to get a micrometer or at least a real good caliper but the dial bore gauge gave me a good clue about the state of the cyclinders. Assuming but not certain that the old pistons were the original 70mm pistons (Yes, Honda is printet on the sides but I think I saw overbore pistons with the same print as well somewhere) I measured some impressive rust pits of up to 0,25mm deep all around the cylinder walls. No wonder considering the history of this bike. However, with a theoretical minimum bore of +0,5mm in any case I decided to order a nice pair of 71mm pistons on Ebay.

IMG_7780.jpg

They were send from Tokio to NY within 3 days but needed another 1 1/2 weeks from the NY to DC. Not that I'm in a hurry with my project but isn't it strange sometimes? Anyway, they arrived, I'm happy and so I'm planning to bring them to the shop tomorrow.

IMG_7971.jpg

I also found and bought a new cyclinder head on Ebay cause I thought that the two broken fins will be kind of annoying after all the effort. Two days later the seller cancelled the transaction cause he dropped the head at the post office and broke... guess what? Right, two fins... I was suspicious at first cause it was almost too cheap for the condition as shown in the pictures. I thoght the seller might have had second thoughts but we stayed in touch and he send me a picture. It shouldnt be this one.. too bad...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've got the cylinders back last week. The machinist said it was indeed a good idea to go for the 71mm pistons. That gave him enough space to eliminate all of the extensive rust pits. Unfortunately I will have to conserve the cylinders and put it securely in a box like all the other parts, because I will have to move abroad in a couple of weeks as I already mentioned earlier. My plan for now is to have most of the parts as machined, processed, primed and so on as possible before me and my family leave the country. The moving is quite an untertaking so there will be a delay of some months before life is established enough to reengage in this project. It's just realistic to think that the assembly won't take place before the summer of 2019....sigh...

IMG_6861.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
That's a shame... hate to see a situation where you're on the verge of it going back together and have to put everything on hold. Of course, if I'd known then what I know now (as in, hindsight is 20/15) I wouldn't have been so excited about a year ago myself, knowing it would come back apart only a couple months later and still be apart almost a year to the month it last ran. Good things come to those who wait, isn't that the old saying? still, not much consolation. Make sure the fresh bore is oiled up nicely so the freshly-cut steel won't rust

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I like it! Now we have to wait until you're back and get working on this thing to see the results...
Sad but true... Though the good thing is that my wife and children are travelling back to Europe soon, so I can take advantage of the situation for a final spurt on this project. I'm in fact planning to do all of the major paint jobs AND a motorcycle trip in their absence, but my priority is probably to work on the bike before it disapears in moving boxes...:sad:

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
Sad but true... Though the good thing is that my wife and children are travelling back to Europe soon, so I can take advantage of the situation for a final spurt on this project. I'm in fact planning to do all of the major paint jobs AND a motorcycle trip in their absence, but my priority is probably to work on the bike before it disapears in moving boxes...:sad:
I'd agree that as much as you can do in the meantime would be best - but better not to hurry the engine assembly, that's when stuff can be overlooked and bad things can happen. Painting is always easier to do over if "haste makes waste"

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Finally the rain has stopped today so I was able to put down the first layer of primer. I‘ve planned to do one layer of self etching primer (today), then one or two layers of ( much brighter) automotive primer and finally the red top coat. I couldn‘t resist buying a Honda Milano Red. I guess other red paint would do the job as well but it sounds so much cooler.

The small details have been treated with rust inhibitor, wire brushes and lots of patience.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Today: Side covers and a second round of primer... Think I may need another layer or at least some work on a few areas. Has anyone done epoxy on primer? I'm not satisfied with some pits and scratches on the frame that should have been adressed before.

IMG_8301.jpg IMG_8310.jpg IMG_8319.jpg

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
After a couple of days working on the things that have to be painted I'm getting a bit nervous if I will ever finish this job... It is remarkable how time consuming the detailing of the frame and all of the small bits really is. Not to mention the sanding and cleaning of everything. Well, I guess that's my new hobby now...

IMG_8336.jpg

IMG_8359.jpg
Epoxy smoothing is probably not the perfect method but epoxy is available in small amounts. It worked quite well though.

IMG_8400.jpg
Looks also interesting. Some parts showing the first layer of self etching primer (darker colour) and some the second layer of normal automotive primer.

IMG_8401.jpg
Frame before..

IMG_8402.jpg
..after first layer of red..

IMG_8403.jpg
...and after the second layer of red.

The red will now serve as a base layer and has to dry for two days. I will then sand it with 1500 or even finer and then apply the last colour finish. After that clear coat will be applied. Man, even if I count the paint job of today as one layer, I will end up with 5 layers of paint on all of the major parts. :eek: I hope it's worth all of the hassle...

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
I like it. Final color will still be red, right? Yes, there is so much time in the detail... but when you're done and people look at it and say things like "it looks like a brand new bike" - that's your satisfaction for the hundreds of hours invested

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I like it. Final color will still be red, right? Yes, there is so much time in the detail... but when you're done and people look at it and say things like "it looks like a brand new bike" - that's your satisfaction for the hundreds of hours invested
I hope you're right. Althought it wasn't mend to be the final layer, the red looked horrible after it dried up. I guess the warm temperatures created the very rough surface. Easy to smooth out now but the real colour finish will be a challenge.

I also made a test with the clear gloss I wanted to use for the frame. I thought of 2K for tank and side covers whereas I thought normal automotive clear coat would be ok for the frame. Probably not... The Duplicolor 1K clear gloss - which belongs to the same product family as my Honda red - destroyed the finish and made it much worse than before. The test piece turned totally dull after drying up. Still have to figure out what do...

But Yes; frame, tool box, mounting brackets and so on will be red whereas tank, side covers, and fenders will be Honda Alabaster Silver, which looks fantastic. I'm not sure if I would pick the same colours if this would be my only bike but I really love the colours. What I'm trying to achieve is a relatively period correct look of a CL77 or CB77.

·
Super Moderator
10,181 Posts
What I'm trying to achieve is a relatively period correct look of a CL77 or CB77.
That was the inspiration for me doing my frame in red, I just went with a chrome tank because the front fender was already chrome and I planned to chrome the new rear fender. In hindsight, I might have painted both fenders silver if I'd found a different gas tank I liked that wasn't chromed already. If I ever do a re-make of the bike in the future, I might just do that

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That was the inspiration for me doing my frame in red, I just went with a chrome tank because the front fender was already chrome and I planned to chrome the new rear fender. In hindsight, I might have painted both fenders silver if I'd found a different gas tank I liked that wasn't chromed already. If I ever do a re-make of the bike in the future, I might just do that
I think your bike looks excellent with that particular chrome tank, chrome fenders and the other equipment. To me your colour scheme highlights the performance character of the bike much better than a silver which would IMO put an emphasis on reflecting the good old days. But that’s just my personal feeling.

21 - 40 of 368 Posts