Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

So I have started working on my bike...just been pulling all the stuff out to restore. I reckon the speedo looks a bit plastered. I was wondering if there is anyone who can restore it for me? Also is it possible to repaint the background and the digits? Perhaps a replacement background?

Any feedback is welcome :)

Thanks guys!!

IMG_20181231_1543598.jpg IMG_20181231_1543490.jpg

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
If it is like a typical Honda gauge from the 1970’s you can probably CAREFULLY pry the chrome trim ring from the backside to open up the unit. A photo of the side of the gauge would help to better see if this is possible. A closeup of how the chrome ring wraps around the back of the gauge would help too. If it was mine I would want a typical Honda gauge to practice on before I ever attempted work on the one you have.
I will caution you on this. That is a rare gauge. While there is debate about your bike actually being a true Honda police bike, the gauge you have is absolutely the type used on a 450 K1 police bike. I do not know of that gauge being used on any other models which is why I say it is rare. It’s also interesting that it’s in MPH which is like the USA version. Many from other countries are in KPH.
I doubt seriously you will find an overlay for that speedometer face. One could be made perhaps but I ask, why? The value of that gauge is in its originality and it’s rareness. Painting or putting an overlay on would devalue it in my opinion.
If you decide you must attempt opening it up I would suggest a careful cleaning of the mechanism and the faces, lube it, and then put it back together so that in the end it still looks original.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is like a typical Honda gauge from the 1970’s you can probably CAREFULLY pry the chrome trim ring from the backside to open up the unit. A photo of the side of the gauge would help to better see if this is possible. A closeup of how the chrome ring wraps around the back of the gauge would help too. If it was mine I would want a typical Honda gauge to practice on before I ever attempted work on the one you have.
I will caution you on this. That is a rare gauge. While there is debate about your bike actually being a true Honda police bike, the gauge you have is absolutely the type used on a 450 K1 police bike. I do not know of that gauge being used on any other models which is why I say it is rare. It’s also interesting that it’s in MPH which is like the USA version. Many from other countries are in KPH.
I doubt seriously you will find an overlay for that speedometer face. One could be made perhaps but I ask, why? The value of that gauge is in its originality and it’s rareness. Painting or putting an overlay on would devalue it in my opinion.
If you decide you must attempt opening it up I would suggest a careful cleaning of the mechanism and the faces, lube it, and then put it back together so that in the end it still looks original.
Thanks as always 12ozPBR...When you say typical Honda gauge do you mean anything that Honda put on a standard CB450 from the era?

IMG_20190102_1601083.jpg

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Yes Hamza by typical gauge I was saying like one that would have been on most Honda CBs of the early to mid 1970’s. I see now that yours is not like those. Are those screws you can take out of the side of the chrome trim? It may be easier to get inside that one. If so, wonderful! Maybe you should do a careful exploration and report back with what you find out.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I am away right know so dont have much info in front of me.

I am thinking the speedo is not a 450 but more like the 750. Reason being the speedo drive comes at an angle (45 degree) whereas the 450 comes straight up (90 degrees).

The 500 & 650 police models were I believe similar to the 750.

There were many new 750 police Speedos about and can be purchased for modest prices.

But sometimes the bike looks better unrestored.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
By the face at least the speedo Hamza has looks identical to the one on my K1. The bike I have is in storage right now or I would go and pull the headlight off to check the backside. I may not have a chance to do that anytime soon.
IMG_3181.JPG
I would be interested in what you find Hamza as far as opening yours up. I will need to do some work on mine at some point. The chrome trim ring is unfortunately dented on the right side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts