Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So i'm dealing with the typical "bikes not charging" on my nighthawk and before I dive in to the regulator/rectifier I want to make sure the current wiring setup isn't the problem.

The bike seems to charge to about 13 volts but as soon as the headlight is on it cant keep up.

The turn signals are wired as per normal but the headlight and gauges are wired directly to the battery and controlled by a switch.

My question is; is the direct connection to the headlight somehow bypassing the regulator? Does it have to be wired in circuit for the regulator to increase its output? Or does wiring items directly to the battery not effect regulator function seeing how it's supposed to maintain a battery voltage anyway.

Clearly wiring is not my forte.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Your customized wiring won't affect the function of the charging system unless it is somehow causing an increased load on the system. The FSM contains instructions on how to test the system, you can determine a proper course of action once you complete those tests.

Do you have the FSM?

·
Registered
632 Posts
the headlight is fused right after the battery.
its technically fed by the regulator originally. after a fuse
should be pretty simple. just find the wires and follow them.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The Black wire to the regulator is also a load sense wire which tells the regulator the load the main electrical system is under, headlight, horn, turn signal are also fed power by the same wire.
Charging system spec is 15V +/- .5V so minimally you should be seeing 14.5V

1 - 5 of 5 Posts