Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, my frustrations linger with this bike, as now I think it's running (just ok) but still won't run with the choke fully off. but at least runs on both cylinders. Now the clutch was sticking and not disengaging some of the time before, so I took the clutch cover off to check the condition of the plates etc. and change the oil. Pulled the clutch apart and check the thickness of the plates and everything was on the high side of the tolerance and looked fine. I put it back together, but I think I put something together wrong on the left side, as now there is no clutch pressure on the handle, it doesn't engage at all. So the adjuster on the left side doesn't turn very much, basically 1/3 of a quarter turn (1/12 of a full revolution) How much is that supposed to turn? seems like I had much more adjustment before that, or am I just dreaming? I did verify that the ball bearing was down inside of the actuator.

Any input would be appreciated, but I'll continue to look at it and scratch my head, hoping to figure it out in the meantime.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If you try to turn the engine with the kickstart lever, does it turn the engine over or does it slip? There are a couple of simple mistakes that can be made on the 450 clutch (as well as on some of the other twins) that can produce the situation you're describing. When you assemble the stack of metal and friction plates, the first metal plate in the clutch basket has a rounded backside, flat on the surface that faces the other plates, and it has to be in proper place and oriented correctly. Also, when you put the pressure plate back on the splines in the center clutch hub, it's possible to put it on without engaging the splines inside the pressure plate - it will look correct and the springs and retaining bolts will go in as expected, but it puts no pressure on the clutch plates themselves as the splines are on top of each other between the inner hub and the pressure plate. In the picture at the link below, #4 is different than #5 (note the position of #4) and the splines on #6 have to be engaged with #2

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Sounds like you may not have the pressure plate re-installed correctly. It needs to be rotated to a position where it engages with the splines on the OD of the clutch hub.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not tried that yet, at this point I haven't put the kick starter back on. Are you talking about what would be item 4 on the diagram? I'm almost certain I put that in correctly with the tapered side towards the clutch basket and the flat side out to work with the other plates. But you mentioned orientation? so does it have to be rotated a certain way? And I will put the kick starter on once and give it a go.

But also, part of my question was about the adjustor on the left side and the amount of travel it has, I'm still thinking something is up with that also.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
But also, part of my question was about the adjustor on the left side and the amount of travel it has, I'm still thinking something is up with that also.

Thanks!
The problem you describe with the adjuster presents the symptoms you are seeing when that little steel ball is missing...........

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have not tried that yet, at this point I haven't put the kick starter back on. Are you talking about what would be item 4 on the diagram? I'm almost certain I put that in correctly with the tapered side towards the clutch basket and the flat side out to work with the other plates. But you mentioned orientation? so does it have to be rotated a certain way? And I will put the kick starter on once and give it a go.

Thanks!
Part #6, it can go on four different ways(four springs) rotate it to another spot, it should go all the way in against the clutch discs when it's in the right location.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem you describe with the adjuster presents the symptoms you are seeing when that little steel ball is missing...........
I will verify by trying to pull what I think is the ball bearing out with a magnet, because I tried tapping out, but it looks like it greased in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Part #6, it can go on four different ways(four springs) rotate it to another spot, it should go all the way in against the clutch discs when it's in the right location.
Ok, gotcha! I was trying to save the idea of draining the oil and pulling the side cover, I put the kick starter on, put it in gear and the back wheel turned when kicked. So would an improper installation prevent that from happening?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Since the kick starter turns the transmission shaft it will turn the back wheel when it's in gear, that's normal. You need to pull the side cover off. "no clutch pressure on the handle" is an indication that the pressure plate is being held out away from the plates by the misalignment.

Reactions: Whammy Jammy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts