Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I installed my cam chain (all marks were lined up) I went on to set the valve clearance and got that set. Now my current issue is when I go to set the ignition. When I go to set the left cylinder my light turns off as I pass LF and kicks on when I pass F. So it's 180* out of sync right? So I checked the timing advance unit and both marks are lined up the way they should be. I also flipped the timing advance unit and tried again but still got the same issue. Same problem when I try the right cylinder (light turns on when I pass LF and off when I pass F)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Watch the points, the points open when the coil fires the plug. The engine must also be on the compression stroke, both rocker arms loose(valves closed).

Reactions: 540nova

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
What kind of light are you using, one with its own battery, or one lit by power from the key switch?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
One with it's own battery
So, one lead connected to the wire to the points, the other to the engine ground. In that case, the light is on when the points are closed, and turns off when the points open - which, as noted, is when the spark occurs. Sounds like you have it right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But that's not my issue.

When I go to set the left cylinder my light turns off as I pass LF and kicks on when I pass F. So it's 180* out of sync right? Same problem when I try the right cylinder (light turns on when I pass LF and off when I pass F)
My light is suppose to turn on when I pass LF and off when I pass F when setting the left point and when I'm setting my right point it's suppose to turn on at F and off on LF. Both on the compression stroke for their respective cylinder.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Are you sure you're on the compression stroke? TDC alone doesn't mean you're on the compression stroke.

I usually use my thumb over the plug hole to find out whether I am on compression stroke.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the same method I use to find compression on the left when I'm setting the left point and the same for the right side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some more context. I had recently installed new pistons and valves, this is the first timing since assembling the motor. I made sure the tick marks on the intake and exhaust cams matched the covers marks along with TDC for the left. Hooked up the cam chain and installed the motor. I've been following the factory service manual to the letter.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
So just to confirm this is how you have your test light hooked up right?

Image29.jpg

And the breaker points are open on LF?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
My light is suppose to turn on when I pass LF and off when I pass F when setting the left point and when I'm setting my right point it's suppose to turn on at F and off on LF
I've never actually checked to see if that is true, but setting the static timing isn't about when the points close anyway - it's only about when they open, and you move on to the other set

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
If the points are indeed open on LF for the left cylinder then what are the chances that it's a simple matter of swapping the leads from the coil/condenser?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the points are indeed open on LF for the left cylinder then what are the chances that it's a simple matter of swapping the leads from the coil/condenser?
I thought of that too and the wires are running properly

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I have never used a battery powered test light before for this but it almost seems like the light is actually testing continuity (breaker contacts are closed)

Whereas it really should be testing for the presence of voltage.

If you hook up a multimeter and set it to test for voltage does it read anything when the points open on LF?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
But that's not my issue.

My light is suppose to turn on when I pass LF and off when I pass F when setting the left point and when I'm setting my right point it's suppose to turn on at F and off on LF. Both on the compression stroke for their respective cylinder.
You said your test light has its own battery - what happens when you touch both leads together? I would expect this type to turn on when the leads are connected together, because the battery would then power the light. That means that, when the points are closed, the light would be on, and the light would turn off when the points open. The LF position is when the points open for the left cylinder.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
And if what Rick is saying is true with your light then just test the timing in reverse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts