Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new starter clutch kit; installing the first spring and cap were easy and almost instantaneous. However, the second and third spring caps refuse to slide into their holes. It is as if they are a tiny bit too large in diameter. However, I tried to insert a spring with an old cap, and that cap wouldn't go in either.

I don't know if it matters, but when I pulled the clutch and rotor off, one roller was out of place and loose; one spring was about half the length of the replacements, and one spring was a bit shorter as well; two caps were missing altogether.

I examined the cap holes with a magnifying glass, and there does not appear to be anything blocking the way.

I am stumped; any help would be much appreciated.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Pix please..... Sounds like the missing "caps" are stuck in the remaining holes......

Sometimes I need my 10X jeweler's loupe.......Magnifying glass is typically 2X to 2.5 power.....

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pix please..... Sounds like the missing "caps" are stuck in the remaining holes......

Sometimes I need my 10X jeweler's loupe.......Magnifying glass is typically 2X to 2.5 power.....
You were absolutely right. Once I removed them, the springs and caps went in nicely.

Now, isn't the clutch supposed to sit up against the large starter sprocket? Mine is sitting offset about a half-inch, and doesn't want to go any further.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Sprocket can only go in the depth of the steel clutch housing (I'm guessing that is about 12 or 13 mm max,... don't have one handy)...
I usually install the sprocket in the clutch (so I can check it locks in one rotational direction), and then install rotor, both sprockets and chain as a unit....Then reinstall guide clip.....
Don't forget to align the keyway and verify woodruff key positioning as you do this....

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replacing all as a unit helped a great deal; now I have about an eighth of an inch gap between the large starter sprocket and the clutch. Is that correct? BTW, thank you for your patience.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^well, at least for the starter clutch... there are a few other idiosyncrasies of the DOHC 450 to be discovered eventually if you have to go into the engine :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts