Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 450 out today. Weather in Seattle was touching 70 degrees and the forecast is good for the rest of the week. No time like the present. Last October the bike was put up. The oil was changed, drive chain cleaned and lubricated, gas tank had ethanol free gas for the last couple of tanks, the tires were aired up to the proper pressure and the battery put on the tender. The bike was stored away in the front corner of the garage. Fast forward to today, the standard pre-ride check consists of:
Check the oil level - good
Check the gas level - 1/2 tank
Brake check - front OK, rear will need the pedal height adjusted, but OK to test ride
Check tire pressure - Front 30#, rear 26# air was added to rear
Check drive chain - tension and lube OK
Throttle operation - moves smoothly and springs back to idle position
Light check - tail, brake, turn and headlight OK
Horn - check OK

Note miles 1774 (1560 since major overhaul)
Last valve adjustment 830 mile ago) Next valve adjustment 2170 miles to go (3000 mile interval)

Turned the gas on and put helmet on. Flipped key to run position and it started right up. Good to go for the season :)

It was a lot of fun getting out on the old bike. I had been riding the GL1200 through the winter. Plenty of protection from the wind and elements and it is great n the freeway, but it is huge. It just doesn't do it like the 450, after about a mile I was grinning from ear to ear!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Jim... I took my 500T out this weekend also. Couldn't resist the good weather we're having and it felt fantastic riding.

I did a rookie mistake after going over the bike once and couldn't get it started though. Spent an hour cleaning out the carbs and checking ignition wiring only to find out the kill switch was on (stop engine on OFF)
Fellt like such a [email protected]$$ LMAO

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Jim... I took my 500T out this weekend also. Couldn't resist the good weather we're having and it felt fantastic riding.

I did a rookie mistake after going over the bike once and couldn't get it started though. Spent an hour cleaning out the carbs and checking ignition wiring only to find out the kill switch was on (stop engine on OFF)
Fellt like such a [email protected]$$ LMAO
Happens to all of us at least once, brother... and not likely to happen again afterward, makes you think of it quickly. Imagine the bike being kickstart only (XL250) and after 10 or 15 minutes of sweating and kicking, finding the kill switch... yeah, I did it (when I was 17)

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Yup, I had my first ride last week!
Wow did that feel good.
Won't be long now.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
To get mine road-ready, I first removed the tank and carbs, to adjust the valves. I read here that if you polish the locking nuts and washers, the adjustment doesn't move around as much when locking them down, so did that first. After remounting the carbs, and before the tank was on, I noticed the RH throttle cable was pulled from the splitter, so reseated it, then turned the grip. The left carb lever visibly moved before right; I had previously sync'd the carbs, so had to make sure they were still good, so I swapped the boots with ones I have modified with vacuum tubes. Mounted the tank, filled it, and began the sync; vacuum a perfect match throughout the throttle range from idle to about 4000 rpm, but the left lever still moved first. Turns out the throttle shaft seals were leaking, so worked out a seal, then redid the sync; much better now, so on to my first ride of the season. After cleaning and fresh lube on the drive chain, tire pressure check, and rear brake adjustment, it was great to burn a gallon. I found at one stop sign that the bike didn't roll freely - rear brake was dragging. Sure enough, when I pushed the pedal down, then release, the arm didn't return all the way. Axle out, brake plate off, clean and lube the cam with brake system grease, and all better now.

Once you get the details worked out, these bikes sure are fun! Now for state inspection and a new tag sticker. Maybe I should get antique plates, so I don't have to do that any more.:)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I made a wake up attempt on my 500T and 450 some weeks ago already. Like always when they are cold I start with pushing the kick starter gently a few times just to get the fluids moving before attempting to start. But this time after more that 4 months in the unheated garage (I swear this is true) my 500T was running at the very first kick (although it wasn't supposed to be a real kick as I explained...) Please forgive my bragging but, Boahhh...that felt so great!!!

The 450 is runnig now but was a complete different story. I took the first ride on her actually today for about half an hour. Brrrrrap...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts