Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike about a year ago and I am just now getting to tearing it down to the frame. Getting ready to slide the engine out, I drained the oil. It looks like the PO very recently changed the oil, (it is very clear) and it has the odor of gasoline; there does not appear to be any gas rising to the top of the oil in the drain pan. If it matters, the plugs are a bit carbon-fouled. I am guessing this is a Bad Sign. Does this mean new rings? The bike only has 8,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It means he left his petcock open, and gas drained into the engine.
Add new oil, you'll probably be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
IF it were my bike, I'd add 2 quarts of fresh oil and cycle it through the engine (without actually starting the engine) and drain and dump that as well....Then add the oil you will be running on...
The 450's are particularly susceptible to thinned oil damage due to very small cam/tappet clearances, and a nominal oiling set-up.......

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
To go a bit further on the previous two posts. My K5 will leak fuel through the float valve if I forget to shut the gas off. It doesn't take long, 3-5 minutes and it will make quite a puddle. This is the nature of the Keihin carburetors Honda fitted to this bike. There is a high level drain in the carburetor float bowl. When you take the bowl off there is a brass tube that sticks about 12 mm into the flat chamber. It passes through the bottom of the bowl. There should be a tube for each carburetor that goes around the back of the engine and will drain any fuel leakage from the float valve overboard. The problem is the little brass tube will clog over the years and not allow the leakage to drain. I've been through four sets of these carburetors and all had this problem.

The DOHC engines a notorious for burning the cams and followers. There lubrications system is marginal. It is very important to keep clean oil in the engine and have if fully serviced. Make sure to let it run for at least a minute before riding, longer if it is cold. The correct quantity is 2.8 quarts. Depending on the bike's condition and what your plans are, clean the centrifugal filter and change the oil. If the bike has been off the road for a while I would un it for a few hundred miles and change the oil again. If it had been ridden regularly I would still clean the filter and give it an oil change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts