Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of our readers may have read in the new member introduction section I purchased this CB450 K5 last week, the first photo shows it on my drive as it was delivered. As usual photos always make the bike appear better than they really are, o.k. it's in good condition but there is always room for improvement.

On delivery it wouldn't tick over so the carbs were off and stripped and given a thorough cleaning, no still not right and it also spit back through the r/h carb. On further investigation I discovered the ignition timing was way out on the r/h cylinder, after a lot of frustration setting the points and timing I got it as near as possible, it now ticks over and doesn't spit at me.

I plan to tidy up this bike, not to build a show bike but one I can be proud to own and ride, I'm no stranger to Japanese classic bike restorations but with this one I want it as correct as possible and reliable. Classic Japanese motorcycle restorations.

At the moment it's partly stripped down, an order has been placed for parts, meanwhile cleaning, checking and painting has started.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Sweet, I love another 450 project! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I like your approach, disassemble clean the bits, reinstall. Be sure to check the speedometer drive grease. 74Shovel posted a nice description overhauling it. He was able to locally sourcing the seal. They are not available from Hm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes JamesPal that's exactly how I do it, started by stripping and cleaning the bike and make note of anything that needs replacing or restoring on the way, I removed items that needed painting and time it all in with items on order from CMS in Holland for the reassembly. As an example most of the rubber parts were perished so I replaced virtually all, the seat cover is wrong for the K5 so got a new one, engine case stainless steel screws replaced as I don't like them, cables replaced, springs corroded etc, too much to list, spent about £300 with CMS on my first order.
Started to strip down the front forks and discovered the grease in the head ball races had all dried out so don't think that had ever been apart? Not got as far as the speedometer drive yet but as you suggest I'll have a look at what 74shovel did with his. Painted the yokes and polished the lower suspension tubes today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow Ziggy!

I have the same project for wintertime with my CB450K5.
I got my bike in July, and she looked great but the gearbox and ignition needed to repair.
Luckily I contacted a pro mechanic, he looked what is wrong and needed to fix.
Now the new parts are coming via eBay and Honda is stripped down for cleaning, polishing and checking.
The guy will put all together in the winter and hopefully I will get bike that is also reliable for longer trips.
Also I'm not making the bike for showrooms.

All best to you and let's stay tuned how the projects continue ja can't wait to see the results.

Cheers Reima Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey Reima it makes it more interesting having two K5s being restored at the same time and posted for all to see, looks like our restoration paths will differ slightly but hopefully our end result will be right and the main thing is that we have fun doing it.

Rebuilding the front end I cleaned up and polished the sliders, checked all the internals and fitted new fork seals and oil. I gave the front brake system just a good clean, think I'll concentrate on that at a later date.

When fitting the handle bars that came with the bike I noticed the two clamps didn't fit properly as they were clamping at the ends on the bars radius as the middle section was too short, see when ever you buy a bike there is always something not correct, did I mention the rear axle nut was only hand tight?

Anyway I went out this afternoon and bought an aftermarked CB750 K series handlebar, fits great and looks good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The front wheel is back. New wheel bearings and seal fitted, also a new bearing locking ring after I mangled the original one when removing it. Switch gear, headlamp and hydraulic brake fluid reservoir resprayed.
The electrics inside the headlamp shell are a bit of a pain to connect properly as I didn't label the connections, thought I've done this before, it isn't difficult. Too many black wires and the PO has thrown a number of challenges in there as he'd done some repair work.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Headlamp

·
Registered
293 Posts
More details on the filters? How did you get them apart without destroying them? ...melt the glue, or cut? Two different size screen wire there, just what you had or one different? Did you attach the wire mesh permanently to both halves and wrap the foam element around the outside?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ok, I had to enlarge the pic (I'm over 50).
So it looks like you only had to peel off the paper and it left the wire frame. Then sandwich the new foam between the inside form and a piece of screen cut to fit. Correct? This should prob be a sticky! These filters are now ~90 bucks, I wondered about doing something similar but hated to risk completely destroying the form while removing the old paper. This is perfect! Thanks much.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
There should be several threads already about rebuilding filters.

I've done the same with mine although I got the old glue out as well. Little heat on the back from a propane torch till the metal is slightly orange and the glue pops right out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey Bill replacing paper filter elements for modern foam isn't a new idea, in fact I did it a few years ago to both my Bridgestone 350 GTRs so could see that it was possible here on the CB450 K5 as well.

My method was to tear out the paper element as much as possible by hand, your'e left with about 1/2" height of paper in the glue. Then I very roughly scraped out what was left of the paper filter with a big screwdriver being careful not to damage the original internal mesh, now much closer to the glue but still with some paper rooted I attached a burr to my Dremel and milled away the remaining paper roots. Once satisfied with the result I gave it/them a good wash.

There is no need to remove the glue as it's not a problem, using heat then there would be a chance of distorting the frame if you felt that you needed to go that way.

I got the filter and mesh here. RAMAIR Air Filter Foam Material + Cage Mesh Large - Scooter Motorcycle Quad | eBay

I cut the foam oversize for a snug fit, the mesh more precise. If you look at the top filter housing through the original mesh in my photo you can just make out the holes drilled for the self tapping screws that will secure the new stainless steel mesh at both ends, I also added a couple of drops of Loctite to the screws when fitted.

Then apply a light coat of oil to the filters and away you go. Didn't take long, probably less than two hours, hope that helps.

Lefty, your link does work, just separate good and http on your top line.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Moving on I have fitted the petrol tank, I also replaced the two cush positioning rubbers to the front and the one to the rear also under the petrol filler cap I have replaced the seal.

In this photo the seat is loosely fitted after removing the original wrong cover, seems the full seat has been changed sometime in the past. Any rust has been treated then the pan fully painted ready for the correct K5 cover. The seat foam skirt will need some kind of repair.

Those with a sharp eye may have noticed the gear change lever is an aftermarket one, new one's are available from David Silver but I find it hard to justify the £66 plus postage cost, good used one's don't seem to be available at a sensible cost, unless you know better?

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So here we have the finished bike, I'm quite pleased with how it looks but sadly winter is upon us so no ride out until next year. I repaired the seat foam and the correct K5 cover is now fitted, did some more painting to the tail light and head light shell to get a better matching gloss finish.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Really looks nice ! Great work! Such a nice model.

Reactions: ziggy stardust
1 - 20 of 35 Posts