Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, lets try this again on the CORRECT forum.

I have recently added a CB450 restoration project to my list. Specifically, the 1970 K3 (not K2, I'm learning here!) shown below. My intention is making a Red Dragon impersonator out of it. I know the K3 frame has a wheel base over an inch longer, I suspect that's all in a longer swing arm. What I need to discover is how much K0 fits on a K3 frame:

1) Saddle. I already know I need to weld side hinges onto the K3 frame for the K0 saddle hinge brackets, so that's the first mod.
2) Fuel Tank. This is the pass/fail for getting to Red Dragon, so I must replace that. Will the K0 tank bolt into a K3 without frame mods?
3) Exhaust pipes. Which original design pipes bolt on to the K3 without issue? I dislike the megaphones. Are the initial design any quieter? These megaphones make the 450 bark much louder than the 1966 CA77 Dream I restored (with stock pipes) earlier this year, and that's a 305.
4) Fenders. The rear fender geometry is obviously different with the K0, and I like it. I'm also no fan of the chrome fenders that CB450s have later on. So, does the K0 rear fender bolt on nice to a K3 frame?
5) Headlight Bucket. A set of K0 oval gauges are a must, but the bucket bolt up to the forks looks pretty straight forward, just like bolting up the K0 front fender... unless the K3 19" front wheel doesn't fit under a K0 front fender... right?

I didn't just chose a K3 to start with just because the price was right ( it was ) but also because after studying the CB450, K3 means more than just the the longer wheel base. Disk front brakes and a 5sp gear box make for a better daily rider. I'm sure I'll learn more... that's why I'm here. :ugeek:

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think your biggest issue is going to be the cost of the K0 components. The tins for a Bomber do not come cheap. I'm pretty sure that the tank should fit right on. You might be better off using a K2 seat pan and getting a K0 seat cover and building a seat. Can't offer any advice about the pipes. The front fender will need the brace from the K2 or a fabricated one as the mounting is different. The back fender on a K0 attaches with 4 bolts where the K2 uses 2 bolts in back and rubber pieces in the front. Headlight bucket should fit but not sure if the speedo ratios are compatible.

What's interesting is I'm doing the opposite. I have a K0 frame, wheels and forks but nothing else. I'm fitting later model components because I have them. Can't afford to buy all the missing K0 components.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jay- understood. The rear fender points are interesting, might have to mod both the K3 frame and a K0 rear fender. And yes, I'm gonna have quite the Easter Egg hunt for these parts. Thx!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.