Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, I've been messing around with my '71 CB450 K3 front fork rebuild for about a week now. I got both fork tubes off, disassembled, and cleaned without any real problems. I bought the wrong fork seals (35x48x11mm) and after realizing my mistake, sent them back and got 35x46x11 ones. These are exactly the size of my old fork seals.

I oiled up the outside of the seals and started them with my fingers. Now, I am pounding away with a rubber mallet on PVC pipe and the seals are 95% straight, but they just won't seat all the way. It's like they're actually stuck. I have enough lip to insert the circlip but not the circlip and the washer. I've probably been pounding for twenty minutes. I don't want to hurt anything, so...

Is there any recommendation out there for what to do next?

Larger hammer?

One suspicion I have is that I bought NOS "THO Horiuchi Shoten - Made in Japan" fork seals off ebay. Could they be old and not malleable enough to be installed?

i want to get riding again so please help!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's okay that no one had the answer, I figured it out myself. :grin:

The answer is that the seals can't go in 95% straight. They have to go in 100% straight.
After a completely demoralizing few days, I finally decided to start over. The seals popped out super easy - surprising after my sustained and failed attack with the rubber mallet. I then made sure they were in super straight, and just tapped them in. Easy as that.

Hope this helps someone at some point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts