Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Western NY! I have recently added a CB450 restoration project to my list. Specifically, the 1970 K2 shown below. My intention is making a Red Dragon impersonator out of it. I know the K2 frame changed to a wheel base over an inch longer, what I need to discover is how much K0 fits on a K2 frame:
1) Saddle. I already know I need to weld side hinges on the K2 frame for the K0 saddle, so that's the first mod.
2) Fuel Tank. This is the pass/fail for getting to Red Dragon, so I must replace that. Will the K0 tank bolt into a K2 without frame mods?
3) Exhaust pipes. Would the K0 pipes bolt on to the K2 without issue? Are the K0 pipes any quieter that K2 pipes? The stock K2 exhaust pipes make the 450 bark much louder than the 1966 CA77 Dream I restored with stock pipes earlier this year, and that's a 305.
4) Fenders. The rear fender geometry is obviously different with the K0, and I like it. I'm also no fan of the chrome fenders that CB450s have from K1 on. So, does the K0 rear fender bolt on nice to a K2?
5) Headlight Bucket. A set of K0/K1 oval guages is a must, but like the front fender, it looks pretty straight forward.

I didn't just chose a K2 to start with because the price was right ( it was ) but also because after studying the CB450, K2 means more than just the the longer wheel base. Disk front brakes and a 5sp gear box make for a better daily rider. I'm sure I'll learn more... that's why I'm here. :ugeek:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You will need the Bomber front end too. Why are you doing this? Bomber parts are harder to find and much more expensive than the later bikes. Your K2 is a sweet ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jim. Yeah, I spelled out how sweet the K2 is over the K0. But, its style points. The K2 looks like Greg Brady was all over it on TV in 1972. I like the bomber's style. The lower bars, the tank, the fenders... just want to figure out how much bolts up to a K2. Here's examples of my clues..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts