Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New guy here! I am more used to 750Ks than 450s.

I have been offered a 450K1 (Frame No 3005479). It has been sitting since 2003 so is a bit grubby, but it is essentially complete and looks original mostly - clip-ons replacing the handlebars is the only real change I spotted.

My question concerns the gear shift spindle. The splines on the pedal end are stripped/smoothed and searching this site, I see that is not an uncommon occurrence. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Also, given the scarcity and cost of replacements, do any other bikes have an interchangeable part?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome - another DOHC 450 in the mix. I wouldn't say the splines on the shift shaft get stripped often, but when it does I'd bet it's usually a matter of someone leaving the shifter too loose on the shaft for too long. I'd suggest doing a Google search for the part number, which you can easily look up at cmsnl.com - just don't have a heart attack when you see what their price would be even if they had it in stock. And no, not likely any other Hondas would have the same shaft.
Edit: here's the part number and the link to that page - 24610-292-030

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450k1-1968-usa_model449/partslist/E++14.html#results

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Welcome - another DOHC 450 in the mix. I wouldn't say the splines on the shift shaft get stripped often, but when it does I'd bet it's usually a matter of someone leaving the shifter too loose on the shaft for too long. I'd suggest doing a Google search for the part number, which you can easily look up at cmsnl.com - just don't have a heart attack when you see what their price would be even if they had it in stock. And no, not likely any other Hondas would have the same shaft.
Edit: here's the part number and the link to that page - 24610-292-030

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450k1-1968-usa_model449/partslist/E++14.html#results

A temporary fix is to drill through the pedal and spindle and put a pin through both. Much cheaper!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks,

I've seen that suggestion elsewhere - drill and pin - but didn't really understand it.

You mean like a split pin?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Thanks folks,

I've seen that suggestion elsewhere - drill and pin - but didn't really understand it.

You mean like a split pin?
Even a small bolt would work, drilled through both the shifter and the shaft... if you want a temporary, if not cheesy, fix. I realize that finding one in these times might be a little more difficult and potentially expensive, but one thing is for sure - it will last forever if you take proper care of it (keep the shifter tight, not hard to do) and if you plan to sell the bike sometime down the road, you won't look like someone who does half-a** work because it will be done right. There may well be members here who would be willing to part with a good used one

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I now own the bike and I found a whole tranny set on eBay for $35!

Will start new post for the restart saga.

Sean

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have finally received the new gearshift spindle – it's been sitting in DC for a few months waiting for someone from Harare to pass by ;) – along with numerous other essential parts and was thinking to get the bike up and running ASAP.

I've had a quick look at the Clymer manual that I got with the bike and it is not too clear: ("Remove gearshift spindle, separate the crankcase halves and dissamble the transmission gears." Since it;s dark here now, I cannot go out and look, but is it possible to replace the spindle without dismantling the whole bottom end? The manual suggests it is as, in the reassembly section, it says to "assemble the crankcase halves and THEN fit the spindle".

Any thoughts and advice on this exercise will be gratefully received - especially and pitfalls to look out for.

Cheers

Sean

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Right side cover comes off clutch needs to come off.

Shifter pedal off, sprocket cover off, remove all the crap off the end of the old shaft as well as the cir-clip and the washer from the shaft.

Should just slide right out with a little twisting and the lever on top on the right side held up away from the shift drum.

Install is more or less the reverse of that. Make sure the cir-clip is in good shape and stays put as it poping out while riding can cause shifting issues. Make sure the spring on the right side gets into the correct place as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, great news. Thanks for help.

Will be out there later this am to give it a go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went ot have a look at this. It looked like it might be a fiddly job with the engine in place and then I noticed just how dirty the frame and engine were, in spite of several attempts to clean it. Especially around the drive sprocket, bacl of engine and around centre stand was absolutely caked in crud.

Two days later, everything is now visible; the engine is out and today I start on the replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts