Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: CB450 K1 upper crank case

I'll check serial #'s tonight. I have one from a 70 CL450, I know its a 4speed and the crankshaft mounts differently than my 72 engine did. Different main caps. I also know that the oil capacity was cast into the case instead of on the oil cap. I got the engine in a box(apart). If the serial #'s work figure I'll be shipping from 06074.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Deux said:
I'll check serial #'s tonight. I have one from a 70 CL450, I know its a 4speed and the crankshaft mounts differently than my 72 engine did. Different main caps. I also know that the oil capacity was cast into the case instead of on the oil cap. I got the engine in a box(apart). If the serial #'s work figure I'll be shipping from 06074.
I really appreciate your effort Deux but I'm after the upper case from an early 5-speed. I might be wrong but I think a 70 CL450 should have a 5-speed engine so you might be lucky and have a more valuable 4-speed Black Bomber engine. The serial no will show what it is.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Well, mine can't fill your need, sorry I really wanted to help. My serial # CB450E-1019278. My spare motor is a CB450E-7005630. I'll keep an eye out for you but my other connections don't have anything right now either. There is a big swap meet coming up this weekend, I'll shop for you. :)

Is that 1019278 engine, athough in boxes worth anything to anyone?

Cheers, Kevin

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Kevin, if you have a look at Motorera you will find that your engine actually is a 1965 to 67 CB/CL450 Black Bomber (or possibly the even rarer CB450D) 4-speed engine. The engine number and frame number are the same except for the E (perhaps for engine).
Honda engine and frame number are never the same so a matching number Honda will have these numbers close (maybe within a 100-500 range) so this engine can be of value to a Black Bomber restorer.

It would be very kind of you to keep your eyes open for a engine case on the swap meet but only buy one if you find an inexpensive one. I'm already in over my head on my project and I have to count the shipping to Sweden too. :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

Znabb said:
Deux said:
I really appreciate your effort Deux but I'm after the upper case from an early 5-speed. I might be wrong but I think a 70 CL450 should have a 5-speed engine so you might be lucky and have a more valuable 4-speed Black Bomber engine. The serial no will show what it is.

All 5-speeds use the same crank.

All CL's are 5-speeds - the "D-model" isn't really considered to be a CL, just a converted Bomber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts