Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Chicago! I picked up a 72 CB450 on the cheap a few weeks ago that started up but made a bunch of noise that sounds like valve train noise. I took the valve covers off this weekend and am sad to report that the rocker arms are pretty shot (unless I'm taking the measurement wrong, pic below) :roll: . Anyone know a shop in or around Chicago that does good work resurfacing these kinds of parts? I'll be doing a rebuild of the engine this winter inspired by Znabb's amazing work. Worst case scenario, I totally screw up the rebuild and I part it out to recoup the purchase cost. So far it looks like rocker arms for sure and a cam tensioner wheel at the least and some misc nuts and bolts. The thing is just too pretty to let die.

Pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Welcome to the site. Good looking bike. :)

May I ask how you know that the rocker arms are shot as their surfaces are not really visible until you remove the cams? Could you try and wipe off the oil from the cam surface and take a new photo so we can get a better view?
It will be interesting to follow your work.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Znabb, I believe that if the followers are no longer adjustable enough to fall within spec then they're considered shot.. I believe... :oops:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd gladly take some more pictures of the cams. And yes, adjusting the valve clearance does nothing. The rockers move around but not even close to spec, so I assume they are done for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts