Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

New member; first time post! OK, so I have a 1971 CB450 that hasn’t run in 35 years (hey, it was garaged, it’s clean and cost me zilch)! Told that motor is “stuck”. Upon disassembling to remove motor from frame, I come across this yellow, plasti-coated spring piece jammed between the output sprocket and the case, with a chunk of the case broken off. (See photo) Firstly, is this a part from the bike or is this road debris that got sucked into the chain / clutch linkage cover? Also, is the output sprocket supposed to float on the shaft splines side-to-side? If this is debris, could this be the cause of the “stuck” condition? I’m not worried about the broken-out outer case piece; that can be welded. All suggestions for freeing stuck motor welcome! I’ve been spraying Kroil into cylinders to no avail. Thanks for your help. Cliff

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
That spring looks like the end of a bungie cord. Prolly got caught in the chain and did the case damage.

Yes the sprocket floats on the shaft the clip that is bolted to it holds it in place.

Far as stuck, can be any number of things. May have to just pull the engine and pull the head and see what you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude, you get a gold star for that reply!....absolutely the end of a bungee cord!!!!! OK, lets get this head pulled and see what we got. Thanks a ton! Cliff

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You want to pull the the engine apart. It has been sitting for a long time. At minimum it needs all new rubber seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts