Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a 71 cb450 harness. Ones on eBay have some H### attached to them, all 3 are different so I don't know which one my bike needs. Any help is appreciated.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The early 5-speed ones won't have the provision for a front brake-lamp switch..... Other than that, you should be able to adapt/run any 5-speed 450 harness (4-speed bikes were different)..... Without you posting the "H####" (whatever that is) we won't be able to help....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
The harness will have a part number on it. Printed on white tape, ask the sellers for the number and cross reference with your bike. ;)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I thought that is what he was referring to, but without the numbers I am unable to help further......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For instance
1971 Honda Cb450 Cl450 Cb Cl Twin H110 Wiring Harness
$49.00 used - eBay

This is the h### number I'm talking about. Others are the same but with the h number being H126 or H119. So I do not know which H### harness is appropriate for my bike.
Thanks

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
No Clue..... Might be the SELLER'S inventory number...I really don't know....
IF it came off a 71 CB450, it will fit a 71 CB 450....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there not a website or seller that sells new wiring harnesses for Honda motorcycles? I have a buddy that's into old BMW's and he can order a brand new harness for a 60's model. I'm hoping theres something like that out there for our bikes!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would say make a new one, its a little time consuming but well worth the saftey factor. You can buy all the correct wire at dime city cycles, the connectors at vintage connections, and use the oldmanhonda animated wiring diagram. The old connectors are crap on a 40 year old bike, plus the wire has started to break down and oxidize, and honda never soldered the original connectors. If you would like me to build you one i can do that, just give me a pm and we can talk specifics. Always remember even though your buying a better than yours harness, its still 40 years old.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
doug350 said:
I would say make a new one, its a little time consuming but well worth the saftey factor. You can buy all the correct wire at dime city cycles, the connectors at vintage connections, and use the oldmanhonda animated wiring diagram. The old connectors are crap on a 40 year old bike, plus the wire has started to break down and oxidize, and honda never soldered the original connectors. If you would like me to build you one i can do that, just give me a pm and we can talk specifics. Always remember even though your buying a better than yours harness, its still 40 years old.
I think he could just as well to restore the current on. I would just replace the connectors that might be damaged or need to be removed to recover with vinyl sheathing. Honda did the right thing by not soldering the connections. Done correctly with the proper tools, a none soldered connection is "gas tight" and will not fail. The vinyl strain relief connections did/do a great job. The key is getting the right connections from Vintage Connections and be sure to get a good/proper ratcheting crimp tool.

Additionally, if he buys a harness all he's going to get is the main harness but most of the problems can be found in the sub-harnesses (switch gear, points, reg/rectifier etc.). Unless someone has butchered it up, most of the main harnesses are in reasonable condition with the exception of the vinyl covering.

Both myself and JohnnyC14 have posted harness restorations for our 450's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts