Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive had my 1969 cb450 k1(i believe, not black bomber, but has drums) for a while now, but want it to handle a bit better, and maybe even lower the ride height somewhat.

as for options id like to get some suggestions:

1. tires, i want the best possible cornering and some wet water performance tires i can get, any reccomendations? i heard ok things about the Bridgestone spitfires, and the white lettering would look nice, but I have also heard they are more a budget tire, i want to be able to get as side ways as possible with confidence

2. forks, i saw earlier on a thread fork oil recomondations, can i just buy any SAE 10-30 and drop it in at the specified amount? (285-295 ml )

3. rear shocks, i read people buying redwings and an example to this page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/300m...c0.m245&_trkparms=72:1171|65:12|39:1|240:1318 is 300mm enough? and if so will it safely lower the bike from where it is now?

4. handlebars, ive been contemplating getting some clubmans, but the euro-style straight bars seem pretty appealing as well, as for actual control, is there a suggestion?

5. swing arm bushing, where can i get the proper metal kind, and is it a big deal to change out?

im a shorter rider (5'9) and would like a some what lower ride, and have heard of people using lowering kits but it seems sketchy at best, opinions?

and since its my first post, heres a picture of her

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You have a K2, not a K1.

Look in the 450 section for the lengthy thread on swingarm bushings. Sometimes they're easy, sometimes not so much.

Almost any shocks would be better than the stockers, so it's hard to go wrong there.

Tires and bars are all personal choices........

I covet your luggage rack - should you ever want to part with it, I got dibs !!!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Well, according to your picture, you have a 1969 CB450 K2....
(Would need the serial number to absolutely verify)
....But if it's CB450-3008956 or higher, it is a K2.....

Bill's post came up as I was typing...LMAO!..... Steve

Addendum:
Tire choice is indeed personal, but I recommend you talk to as many riders as you can for their OPINIONS, then buy the best quality tires you can afford...Almost any modern pattern/composition tires are better than the stockers......

Overall height CAN be adjusted out using slightly shorter shocks, and "slipping" the forks up in the trees a equivalent amount...OR, a longer swingarm can be swapped although this increases the wheelbase (more stable at speed, but takes longer to turn)
ANY change requires some compensating adjustments.....

New Swingarm bushings are a MUST!....JMHO....Steve

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
OOPS! :oops: I stand embarrassed and corrected........
....Is that enough for another Homer?..... :lol:

Still has the steering damper too!....... (Lust)..... Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
OOPS! :oops: I stand embarrassed and corrected........
....Is that enough for another Homer?..... :lol:
No way, man - only if you had destroyed the triple clamp trying to do it..........

But it's a beauty, wish it was mine.
I had a pair of them just like it, back in The Day.

But that might be a K1 seat.......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I'd just put those forks in newer trees (and re-space the wheel a smidge), but keep the damper..... Speaking of which, did you ever get a pic with your new sidestand?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, the bike itself has been maintained meticulously over the years, hardly a flaw on it, still runs like a bear. the seat is interesting, yes, im not sure where it came from, it may have been re-upholstered by the PO, to make it a tad smaller, I may buy one off ebay and do the same but even more so.

i had a CL350 before this that i put great tires on, i just forgot what they were.... but afterwards i would have the pegs sending sparks and feel totaly comfortable, i know its a much lighter bike, but id still like to get that same sense of confidence out of this one too. In a way i feel scared to touch hardly any of it, considering what condition its in. almost feel i should find an old cb350 and play with that rather than do anything to this.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I thought it was the K0's and K1's that had the 305 style tapers.....
Didn't the K2 just have the shoulder for the top tree?... I'm at the CRS stage I guess....
Honda made SO many changes to the 450 forks!!!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Be careful with lowering - and get stiff springs. I have a thumper that I can lay over 'til I get gravel in my vest pocket. After riding that for a while, I have to be very careful remembering to slow down for the turns with the 450 because hardware hits the road much earlier (an unscheduled trip through the shrubbery was a powerful reminder). Lowering it will limit how far you can lay it over even more.

·
Registered
145 Posts
KERRY said:
Be careful with lowering - and get stiff springs. I have a thumper that I can lay over 'til I get gravel in my vest pocket. After riding that for a while, I have to be very careful remembering to slow down for the turns with the 450 because hardware hits the road much earlier (an unscheduled trip through the shrubbery was a powerful reminder). Lowering it will limit how far you can lay it over even more.

Ding! watch the centerstand!

·
Registered
145 Posts
lysergic9 said:
3. rear shocks, i read people buying redwings and an example to this page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/300m...c0.m245&_trkparms=72:1171|65:12|39:1|240:1318 is 300mm enough? and if so will it safely lower the bike from where it is now?

I have a set of these on mine and they're a pretty good shock. I'm swapping them out for a set of Koni's though. The springs are a little light for a 450, but they still do the job and you'll drop the seat height about 3/4" to an inch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honest Don said:
lysergic9 said:

I have a set of these on mine and they're a pretty good shock. I'm swapping them out for a set of Koni's though. The springs are a little light for a 450, but they still do the job and you'll drop the seat height about 3/4" to an inch.
will they be stiff enough for a light rider? im not just short, im also only 145 lbs,

·
Registered
145 Posts
lysergic9 said:
Honest Don said:
lysergic9 said:

will they be stiff enough for a light rider? im not just short, im also only 145 lbs,
If you're riding solo, they should be adequate. you'll still probably need max preload on the springs though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have cheap Cheng Shins (sp?) on my K7 and I regularly grind the center stand on left handers and occasionally rub the right foot peg on right handers. Not saying the bike handles all that well as it is but I think I'd have to RAISE it to lean any further.

Mike V.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.