Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My recently acquired CB450 K4 jumps in and out of 1st and 2nd gear. At first i thought it was the clutch, as it grabs 1st gear, jumps out then grabs it again, same with 2nd Once rolling. 3rd 4th 5th are no probem. . I checked the clutch and its all good.
I've got then gears out today and at 1st look, theres no wear apart from a bit of play on one of the selector forks, which i think is the 5th gear selector.. Theres a tiny chip on the 2nd/ 3rd gear, but as i say 3rd isnt an issue.
I am aware of the 1st gear issue on this model. But even the detent roller seems good. Drive shaft splines at the sprocket are also good.
Any ideas please?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
315 Posts
Check engagement points on the shift drum. They can get hammered down. Any marks on the side of a fork indicates it's bent.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres a small amount of wear on the engagement points on the shift drum. The small spring on the gear change shaft is very weak, i have noticed today. Anything else to look out for?

·
Registered
315 Posts
The dogs that move into the holes of the next gear can be rounded. The teeth have nothing to do with engagement.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts