Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has used the new front rotors from 4into1 by chance? Stainless Steel Drilled Brake Rotor - Honda CB450K 72-74 CB500/550

Was looking at buying one of the drilled ones for a tad more bite and and little less glazing. I've heard very mixed reviews as to using drilled disks vs solid. I barely ride in the rain but was keen to get something that might glaze a little less for everyday riding. I currently have stainless steel lines, have rebuilt the master and slave cylinders and have the EBC semi sintered pads on to try and improve braking. I have a very, very slight warp on my rotor that's only apparent when manoeuvring the bike under foot, so thought I might as well get something that might give a bit more stop.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
All the 'experts' I've read say that drilled rotors don't stop as well, because the total area used by the pads is less, and the drill pattern is just cosmetic, IOW, no net benefit. Also, if you do a lot of hard braking, they will tend to crack in the heat, which is why you rarely see them on racers. Broken in correctly, I've never had a brake glazing problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah I'd read there was no high benefit braking wise, was just hoping to ease the glazing issues I get, but don't really fancy having a cracked disk or losing any braking power from my already weak front brake... I also prefer the look of the original solid rotor.

With that in mind, I might go for this one from 4into1 Stainless Steel Brake Rotor - Honda CB450K 72-74 CB500/550 Don't suppose anyone has tried this rotor either?

Perhaps with getting a new rotor and some fresh EBC pads at the same time I might get them broken in better together. Is there a particular technique for braking in a fresh rotor and pads by chance? Or just use them?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Didn't the CB750 or CB500 of that period use the same rotor? It'd be a shame to pony up for a new rotor like that if you didn't need to.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I bead blast the old bigger disc and scuff the pads. Stainless lines and a good master. I think a lot of old masters have spider vien corrosion tracks in the bore, a rebuild kit won't fix that. Properly bled it brakes like a champ.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies guys. I had looked at getting my rotor skimmed and resurfaced (mine has slight groves on it) but the quotes I've had so far are about $130 plus postage, so I figured I can get a new one for about the same price. I'm also keen to find some more aggressive pads than the EBC FA13V's if such a thing exists? Perhaps I can get some made that will improve braking a bit?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Find Jamespals brake thread, the more sintered the better. Vintage brake has some but they only fit certain years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Lefty, much appreciated. I had a look through that thread, some good information in there. I did also have a look at Vintagebrake, they offer a Ferodo Organic pad FDB119P, which claims to have a decent advantage over HH pads from competitors. Might be worth a shot. Couldn't seem to find much about them on here of if anyones used them on their old Honda? The only semi-sintered pad I could find was my current EBC FA13vs...

I might see if I can get my current rotor bead blasted to give it a new surface rather than skimmed. Could me worth a go first cost wise. Thanks for that advice too!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just thought I'd give a quick update on my front brake pad change... After chatting with Michael from Vintagebrake, he recommended using the Ferodo FDB119P pads over the EBC ones. After resurfacing my rotor and cleaning the glaze off it from the EBC pads, I cleaned out all the paint that had been jamming the front pads. I have no idea why EBC thinks its a good idea to put paint on the back of the FA13v pads, it just ends up gumming the pads in!

After fitting the new Ferodo pads and bedding them in properly my front brake is working like a champ! So much so it's really showing up how tired my front shocks are! The pads have much better feel than the EBC pads, better bite too. Wish I hadn't spent the past 5 years trying to get the EBC ones to work better. I'd thoroughly recommend trying the Ferodo pads if any one is looking for a bit more bite up front. They also don't squeal like the semi-sintered ones tend to do either.

Anywho, just my experience with them so far. Hope it helps someone else looking for a brake boost. Now time to fit my new racetech front fork springs...

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Good to hear, I'll have to look into those. I have a box of old half worn pads I've been using the best of for years but they'll be gone someday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts