Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, cb450 restoration in progress. My starter was firing just fine the other day then I touched the positive connection from my jumper cable (was using car to test stuf, battery was not hooked up at this point) to the frame and now no starter when I press button, what could have happened here?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Your starter could be ready for a rebuild kit ($25 and there are good videos online)

Can you push start it?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Ah.

When my starter was failing (and it took a long time for it to totally quit) it would sometimes work. But when it wouldn't turn I noticed that I could short the starter solenoid posts and get no sparks. Which told me the issue was internal to the starter. At one point I even took off the starter and turned it 1/4 turn by hand and put it back in, then tried the start button and the starter worked like nothing was wrong. As it turns out that intermittent (normal) functionality one of the symptoms that a starter needs to be rebuilt. The kits are cheap and it's been documented in many threads and a few videos that may be for various different bikes but the info is applicable for most every bike on the road.

One easy thing to try is to put the bike in 2nd gear and act like you're trying to push start it, but settle for a little turn of rotation of the engine once you pop the clutch, then try the electric starter.
Once after 20 minutes trying to push start that bike I tried the electric start and it fired right up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could I just try to turn the starter directly with jumper cables before I proceed on any rebuilds?

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Most often it is the brushes not contacting the commutator, a common problem with old cars and bikes. The old trick was to tap the starter motor quite hard in the middle, not the alloy cover at the end which will break. That will often shake the brushes into contact and get you started. It also means a rebuild is needed very soon.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
could I just try to turn the starter directly with jumper cables before I proceed on any rebuilds?
You could, but you'll get some sparks upon completing the circuit if the starter is going to go active. No sparks? I'd try tapping on the starter like Bill says but don't do damage.

A rebuild or replacement starter is what you need, there's no way around it. You need not fear, it's well documented in threads on this site, search and you will find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts