Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having stripped the frame to tidy it up and repaint it, I thought I may as well upgrade the loose bearings in the steering whilst I'm about it (having lost half the bearings over the garage floor).

Now I'm having difficulty getting the 'direct replacement' taper bearings to fit or seat properly.

The lower bearing is the correct width, however it's about 14mm deep and the frame is 20mm deep, inside. The washer supplied with the kit is too wide to fit inside the frame and thus the bearing is not sat into the race.

Has anyone else had this problem or done the bearing upgrade on a similar bike?

Should the bearing (& seal) be raised inside the frame to meet the race OR the race inside the frame pushed down to meet the bearing?

Appreciate your thoughts.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tripletree.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help LDR

However with the supplied washer on, the bottom triple tree is pushed down too low and doesn't leave enough stem at the top.

Also the bearing race is up inside the frame, by my estimation about 6mm too high for the bearing to be seated in it.

Problem being that if i bring the race down flush with the frame, the stem is then too low to get the upper thread nut on?

Or maybe the taper bearing assembly is just too deep?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
What was the stacked height of the old and new lower bearings? Were the very close to the same? This is what they should have looked like, note that there is one washer used to get them close to the same
GEDC2530.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's pretty much what i was expecting - the two are very similar and the washer shim is the same diameter.

I think either my kit is for a different bike or the parts are wrong.

I'm going to return them and get the All Balls kit. I've well and truly mashed them trying to fit them and remove them about six time!

You'll see how the washer is far wider than the bottom bearing - it's 55mm where as the bearing is 50mm. The heights aren't far off, maybe 1mm taller. And the upper set are close enough.

steering_bearings.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I've always used All Balls, never had any problem with them. I've seen cheaper versions that are supposed to be as good but who knows

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do the kits usually come with the appropriate spacers in your experience?

I'm imagining that I need to drop the race by about 6mm in order for the bearing cage to sit in it.

Struggling to find a separate washer/spacer at the right size. :-?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I have a complete CM/CB 400/450 front fork assembly that I'd like to put on a frame. The inner bearing races are there, but I need the outer races that were left in another CM/CB 400/450. Anyone got an outer set lying around? What are the bearing (inner and outer) numbers?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
My understanding is that All Balls is having custom bearings made for them that are off spec from the standard bearings, things like taller outer races, narrower rollers, etc. You'll need to wait until you get their kit to see what's what, you can contact them and ask questions.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I have a complete CM/CB 400/450 front fork assembly that I'd like to put on a frame. The inner bearing races are there, but I need the outer races that were left in another CM/CB 400/450. Anyone got an outer set lying around? What are the bearing (inner and outer) numbers?
I've looked before and never found any bearing number stamped on them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Pm me.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've looked before and never found any bearing number stamped on them.
Yes, Jim. I saw no number on the upper inner race. Only a 'K' stamped on that one. I don't have an outer to check. I guess it must be an 'All Balls' secret...lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My new taper bearings had the sizes stamped on them, but don't recall if it's on the outer race or the bearing inner.

They're listed as Pyramid Parts but have TNT stamped in them.

The old loose bearing race didn't have anything on them.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Can you post the numbers and which bearing , inner or outer?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
TNT is a possible Chinese or Taiwan bearing company, not to be confused with NTN which is a good Japanese bearing company. I really question that kit, sounds like they put bearings together that fit the basic ID and OD of the bearing without the stack height.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Thank you for posting that. Are they using the same bearing upper and lower? (since the original races use 18 balls on the top and 19 on the bottom)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, the upper is slightly smaller - 2mm I think.

The AllBalls kit is spot on!

Fits like a dream and includes all the correct size washers for the bike.

IMG_3186 (1).jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

And just enough thread exposed for the top nut (also with it's own washer to go inside the ridge)
IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm glad I bought the AllBalls kit for mine first, had never converted one until I did mine and it went well, as yours is now. Nothing like the smooth feel of tapered bearings in the steering stem, you'll never have to touch it again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts