Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly and amateurishly converting a stripped back CB450 DX to cafe/brat bike.

The frame has a big sticker near the headstem warning that it contains asbestos!

Does anyone know where in the frame asbestos is used and how much or how dangerous it is?

I've already chopped the rear frame & seat bracket, and been sanding/grinding off the old paint and rust.

Just wonder how cautious I should be with that angle-grinder :|

Or have I mistaken the sticker being on the frame and it's only the brake pads and gaskets likely to contain asbestos?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It could be that the frame itself doesn't contain asbestos but the brake pads/shoes do, or possibly head gaskets or exhaust gaskets. Really anywhere that gets really hot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If asbestos is inhaled it can be fatal. never hard of it used in frames, it is usually used in old brakes shoes, old brake pads and old clutches, and stuff that is already mentioned, but it is basically illegal to use anywhere these days.
if the bike came with asbestos warnings it is most likely the engine gaskets. break shoes and pads may have asbestos too and they are not that expensive to change and new ones are probably better for breaking performance.
my cb400n still has the asbestos gaskets it was born with.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The sticker is related to brake linings in this case and possibly the head gasket. There's nothing else on the entire bike that would have any use for asbestos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for you comments guys - that is reassuring to know.

Being a thirty year old bike I was concerned they may have had it somewhere in the pressed frame, for heat resistance or whatever reason. And since I'm getting handy with the angle-grinder, didn't want to be breathing that dust in!

Sticker now removed as redundant ;)

I'll undoubtedly need to replace the pads, but they must've been changed over the years too.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Honda was using things like lacquer, acrylic lacquer, enamels, etc. for painting, not lead based paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts