Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have finally created the CB450 DOHC face gauges. But I have yet to send them off to get printed and cut. I wanted to get an idea of the demand for these before I invest money into getting them printed.

Could you guys and gals help me out and let me know if you would like to have a set?

Depending on the printing costs, probably looking at $40-$45 per set (1-tach, 1-speedo). And at most $5.00 for shipping. But these prices are not final, and will probably do a discount for Hondatwins.net forum members.

Obviously the "ingerslev....not for reproduction" will not be on the actual gauge faces.

The color will be slightly different, but going for the "blu-ish" color.

I appreciate the help and thanks to the moderators for running such a great site!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Those won't help the K7 guys and possibly the K6 guys. They have the idiot lights in a center mounted console between the guages.. Still, this is awesome that you're offering these for everyone! The innovations people come up with on this site NEVER ceases to amaze me!! :D

Anyone care to confirm the exact years on this? I'm too lazy to do the research right now.. :oops:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I forgot to post that last night.

These are from a '70 CB450 DOHC. K3 model - because the side cover emblems have the "DOHC" not like the K4 models with the "Double Overhead Cam" Emblems.

I don't know what the other model K's have for speedo and tach gauges, or if they are different color, etc.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The side covers have nothing to do with your gauge overlays..

It's the neutral and highbeam lights being housed in the tachometer. There were several years this was done, so they will fit more than one model year.. Also CL450's of similar years..

The idiot light cluster was added between the gauges in 1973 K6 models and carried over the the 1974 K7 models.

More info and pics here: http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CB450

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
The guages look good but I think you need make the best attempt possible to match the original colors which was a unique deep greenish color. I would take a set of them even with the blusish color since it'll match my bike nicely.

One other note, the original speedometer had a red mark on the 70mph line. Some others might want to verify but that's how my originals were.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The faces were make from my gauges I pulled directly from the bike. The bike is all original, but my speedo didn't have a red mark at 70mph.

The color is a tough one to match. Mine are definitely faded, but they seem much more blue than other gauges I have that are faded.

Either way I can swap out the background color in a couple of seconds.

I'd be very curious to see what the original color really is.

Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how about this color?

These are the gauges I created for the CB350 K4

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Yup, that looks a lot more like it.

I recently bought a set of guages from a guy on eBay for my GL1000. The guy that sells them has them for the GL1000's and 750's. He's an older guy and spent 30 years doing the graphic work for Boeing. Anyway, I ended up calling and talking to him on the phone and he explained in detail how his application process works. His faces actually have a little yellow tint to them but he process includes painting the guage face under the new face and that give the original color.

Take a look at this link. The "after" color is what my 450 looks like now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Go ... 0335799941

Again, I like the blueish color so I'll take a set in that color if you have them. If not then the greenish color works for me as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts