Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a '71 cb450 and I want to ditch the clutter of a master cylinder and have also been having issues with a sticking piston.

So I figure I could just swap the front wheel/hub of an earlier 450, before they switched to disc brakes.

Think this will work out alright?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
hiemet said:
So I have a '71 cb450 and I want to ditch the clutter of a master cylinder and have also been having issues with a sticking piston.

So I figure I could just swap the front wheel/hub of an earlier 450, before they switched to disc brakes.

Think this will work out alright?

Not without some effort.
The CB drum brake wheel is 18", yours is 19" - so the fender will look goofy.
That's if you can space the wheel properly between the forks and find a way to attach the drum brake stay bar.

You could try a complete CL450 front end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
agh, I knew there was something I was overlooking.

It sure will be tough to find a CL front end locally...

Well atleast I know what I'm looking for now, thanks buddy

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
IF you use the axle from the disc wheel, and are willing to measure and space the wheel so it exactly centers, there should be no problem other than the afore-mentioned rim diameter difference and the fact that 18" 450 drum wheels require a "different and hard to find" speedo cable.. The disc brake wheels' speedo drive and/or cable won't fit or work (different ratio for sure, and a different cable end)....Not certain if this discrepancy also applies to the later 19" CL drum wheels or not.....I have even used a 305 drum (same diameter as the 450 drum) laced to an 18" alloy rim as it used the desired 36 spoke pattern (a 450 uses 40 spokes) on an essentially "CB" 450...

Don't give up yet!.... :D Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts