Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachment=2:2ebmbjor]CB450(Glenns)wiring diagram_color.jpg[/attachment:2ebmbjor]

[attachment=1:2ebmbjor]Factory Service Manual wiring harness_no_labels.jpg[/attachment:2ebmbjor]

[attachment=0:2ebmbjor]Factory Service Manual wiring harness2_COMPRESSED.jpg[/attachment:2ebmbjor]

EDIT I went ahead and moved the diagrams to the beginning of the thread, thanks for the work John :)

--- Franz

Thanks Franz. I just completed the later model with the indicator panel lights and added it above.

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Re: CB450 Color wiring diagram

Just a note that is for the beginning models without the voltage regulator in the system. SO the k0's

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

frogman79 said:
Just a note that is for the beginning models without the voltage regulator in the system. SO the k0's
Hmmm...it shows a regulator.

John

·
Registered
8,867 Posts

This is not a K0 diagram as it is showing a VR although I cannot say which K version it is. The circuits do change with model and area of sale. However thanks for your efforts its always appreciated. :D

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts

SO it does, I just glanced at it, the other diagrams I have have really LARGE item pictures. :lol:

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I cannot recall exactly where I got it but it said US 5 speed model. I compared it to the K7 diagram in my Chilton's and could find no differences other than a few cosmetic ones.

On another note... having not had a 70's bike since the seventies and even then I wasn't paying attention, I am surprised that there isn't a small fuse block. Since the harness on my recent purchase has been removed and altered I am thinking about adding one. Maybe separating the lights and horn, ignition and not sure what else there is. Am I creating unnecessary complexity? I'd like to rewire this bike and I think I'd have a better chance to get it right if I had a central hot point to run everything from.

Thanks for any advice you may have and keep in mind I've never tackled anything like this before. I do remodeling for a living and have a good understanding of residential electrical where all the circuits come from a central panel. Good or bad it seems like the bike could be done the same way. Turn the key on and it powers a relay that powers the panel.

John

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts

There's ONE fuse right next to the rectifier on the diagram. PHYSICALLY its on the left side frame rail right next to the battery.

I my bike I cut out the old glass fuse holder and replaced it with a rubber blade fuse holder.

·
Sensei
27,096 Posts

Franz.... It does show the V-reg on the original drawing, but it is incorrect......There IS NO red wire on the V-reg.....Just, Yellow, Black, and Green (ground)....The way that drawing shows would shunt excess voltage directly to the battery through the fuse, probably frying the fuse........The Red wire shown from the V-reg should be green and grounded, not red and connected to the "hot" wires......

Sourjon.... Appreciate the effort, but I will delete your post as soon as another moderator verifys the incorrectness.....We can't have anyone frying their wiring following that diagram......

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hmmm... I've looked at several this morning and they all show that red wire. Yellow-red-black in every instance. Not awake enough to go look at my harness yet. Do you know of one that shows different? EDIT see below

I just looked at the link provided by Flugtechnik for the 5 speed 450 and it is the same one I posted. http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/WiringDiagrams/MCwiring.php#class.

It matches the one in my Chilton that came with the bike and the Clymer manual I downloaded.

John

EDIT to add the UK diagram in the Clymer shows yellow-green-black

EDIT to add the Factory Service manual shows Yellow-green/yellow-black. Here's a screenshot
[attachment=0:7bk7gj23]CB450_wiring_diagram_Factory Service Manual.jpg[/attachment:7bk7gj23]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts

The site that FLug posted does have the right ones, they are listed as cb/cl450 (Glens). Again they look to be for the years before the dash change.

·
Sensei
27,096 Posts

Of course it matches the Clymer drawing, Clymer WAS the source of the drawing..... But it's WRONG.....Chilton copied that error on their "K-6 on" drawing, even though their earlier drawings and the later 500T drawing are correct.....This was common knowledge back then, but has seemingly been forgotten.....

As to the Honda FSM harness drawing, it shows the juncture locations, not the specific component..... For instance, the light-green with red stripe wire is for the neutral light switch, and its juncture point is with/at the AC generator (alternator) connections....It certainly does NOT connect to the actual alternator anymore than the green with yellow stripe wire (brakelight and switch) connects to the regulator.....but the connector is in the same wire cluster.....

....In over 40 years of working on Hondas, I have NEVER seen that regulator with anything other than a Black, a Yellow, and a Green wire...The same unit was used on 175's, 200's, 350's, the 5-speed DOHC 450's, and the 500T's....So I've seen literally thousands of them....

Show me just ONE Honda regulator of that era with a factory red wire on it and I'll concede.........(Good luck!).... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I will readily admit that wiring is not my strong suit and I'm new to the CB450. That's why I'm here on this forum. I did not know the source of the one I posted was the Clymer as it was not attributed and stated in my original post that I couldn't be sure it was correct. This morning I was just checking what I'd found against various other online and paper sources I could find and sharing them in an effort to get something that was correct both for myself and whoever comes looking later.

Thanks for the explanation and corrections. Might be best to remove this thread to avoid further confusion. Sorry about that.

John

·
Sensei
27,096 Posts

John....NO need EVER to apologise for trying to be helpful....We do appreciate your effort......Steve

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Got a chance to get the harness and look at it. Reg has three wires just like you said: green, yellow and black. Harness has same colors connected. The black from the harness has a double connector which has the regulator black and a green with yellow stripe plugged into it which seems incorrect looking at any of the diagrams. Should be black to rear brake switch?
[attachment=1:34p9yh28]reg_wire.jpg[/attachment:34p9yh28][attachment=0:34p9yh28]reg_wire2.jpg[/attachment:34p9yh28]

John

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,096 Posts

Yes, the green/yellow plugged into the black is incorrect...Essentially it eliminated the brake-light switch from the circuit and "lit" the higher wattage filament in the tail/brake light all the time when the key is on... Perhaps this is what the PO wanted, although why is beyond me.. (Maybe the lower wattage filament was burnt out and he needed a "taillight" on to get home without a ticket...Who knows?)... Simply plugging the correct colors of the rear brake-light switch into those two wires will remedy that error.....

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I find it much easier to follow a wiring diagram if it's colored. So I took the Glenns posted above and colored it. Take a look and give me some feedback. John
[attachment=0:2cgc8nzt]CB450(Glenns)wiring diagram_color.jpg[/attachment:2cgc8nzt]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I have a very old copy of a program called Paint Shop Pro. I've used it forever and even though it's a decade old it does what I need. I did the wiring harness also. When I get a chance I'm going to attempt to modify the Glenns to have the later dash with the three idiot lights separate. It would be nice to have a reliable drawing of the electrical system that could be shared and understood by noobs such as myself. Doing this is helping me better understand how things work on the bike. No small feat in my case :)
John
[attachment=0:pt3b2fey]Factory Service Manual wiring harness_no_labels.jpg[/attachment:pt3b2fey]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts